Why become a member? ×

Lignum Basses

NancyJohnson

I like the process a lot, but, because there's always a but, I find that CNC machined instruments tend to always have sharp angles and designs too. They still do a lot of things by hand at Lignum (literarily firewood in Latin, no kidding, but has become wood by extension) which is very good as only a human brain can correct these perfection, yes perfection, issues.

That said, @BassNugget the pickups on this very fretless bass are the Fishman Fluence. 😉

https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/fluence-bass-soapbar/

They have a stupendous workshop. They seem to get their wood in just planks from the timber supplier and have to remove the bark etc. It's interesting to see the precision with which they fix the wood to the CNC router table

On 20/06/2021 at 11:40, NancyJohnson said:

I'll admit I'm a little obsessed with trawling You Tube for guitar repair/build content; these Lignum videos are a joy when compared to the lengthy Crimson ones.

I'm quite enjoying the current Crimson ones. Ben is basically making it up as he goes along and not hiding the balls up he's making of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

I'm quite enjoying the current Crimson ones. Ben is basically making it up as he goes along and not hiding the balls up he's making of it.

His Guitar Build Off 2021 was one disaster after another and I am tiring of the whole desire to do different ethic. 

There's no doubting he knows his shizz, but the thing he just finished seemed to be more about him getting out of unnecessary situations rather than making something decent.  Just build a stunning guitar, just stop trying so hard to break with convention.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

His Guitar Build Off 2021 was one disaster after another and I am tiring of the whole desire to do different ethic. 

There's no doubting he knows his shizz, but the thing he just finished seemed to be more about him getting out of unnecessary situations rather than making something decent.  Just build a stunning guitar, just stop trying so hard to break with convention.

I watched a lot of the videos of this and I came to similar conclusions - it felt like an exercise in being unconventional for no particular reason. I felt it came across as someone who's lost interest to some extent?

• 4 months later...