Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender USA Dlx Dimension 4HH

dub_junkie

Picked up a 2014 deluxe in the limited edition rootbeer finish.  I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for these basses - they’re really very good!
Going to try and source an H with rosewood fingerboard next. Specific I know but I want it sufficiently different from the one I have on all counts

384907AF-14AA-45F8-B036-72451F6E1116.jpeg

5507DFDD-61C1-41D0-932A-054FEE691E0A.jpeg

44993B80-A404-40F7-BC52-F8872C357E0C.jpeg

85A12B68-CC29-48E7-85C6-515C55439103.jpeg

8CFDD653-EED8-412E-8540-F729FC61A402.jpeg

971CC0FE-AB54-493A-BD25-DBDD7C360480.jpeg

B93720F7-B4F0-4971-AE8A-4CEE5B3123D5.jpeg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, dmckee said:

I do fancy trying one of these. What’s it like for weight? 

Haven’t weighed it but it seems a bang average weight for a bass.  Sorry I can’t be more accurate but I can’t envisage any issues with it weight wise playing over extended periods of time

8 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

Ooh lovely. That colour is outstanding. 

What does it sound like? 

I tried the squier version many years back and seem to remember it was very flexible. 

Quite ballsy sounding. I like pos 2 and 4 on the switch the best but the bass sounds good across all five positions without touching the 3EQ.

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Always surprised this didn’t stay in the Fender range. Good looking versatile bass.

Thanks. Does seem that no matter how hard Fender try with new models, players only want the Precision and Jazz bass. Then to top it all, Fender get stick for releasing new variants of those just about every year. 

1 hour ago, danbowskill said:

Always wanted this one,  this colour.... Lush 🤤

iirc I think I read/heard that this colour was limited to as few as thirty pieces and most ended up being shipped to Europe. Maybe that’s just a load of tosh but they do seem pretty rare. 

Great choice. Brilliant colour. Massively under rated are these basses. As has been said I also get why they didn’t sell - wasn't because they’re not good.

The asymmetric neck profile is so right: a proper epiphany for me. The quality and parts are great. I’m an 18v active 3 band and dual buckers guy so this is spot on, the coil taps are a nice bonus. The EQ is doubtless not the best on the planet but the range and EQ points are fine.

Does it sounds like a ‘Ray? Still no, coz really and properly only 2 band EBMM ‘Rays with parallel alnico pickups really sound like ‘Rays IMHO 😀

Does it sound like a P? Not really, no.

Does it sound like a J? Yeah, you can get close enough.

Do all of the switch positions produce great sounds that are a bit Fender but their own thing really? Yes!

Does the front pup with mid boost reasonably hard into a good comp and then a GK sound utterly perfect to me? Yes!

It’s bright: mine’s wearing 1.5 yo round D’addario Nickel XLs and they still sound good to me. Previously I used to change (steel rounds) like every 4th gig. And it’s been well played at home during lockdown of course 😎

My 2014 Deluxe USA HH fiver… 10lbs on the nose, and being treated to a replacement brown tort four ply guard from WD at the end of August!

5335B21C-61D4-4D22-AA32-48032154FB13.jpeg

Edited by moley6knipe
Tort!
  • Like 2

I had the Deluxe 5 HH before getting this. In retrospect I should have kept it as it was a superb player but I had some tough decisions to make with my gear and now it’s gone to another basschatter. 
EC15D7E0-7B17-4688-ABEE-93CE9B463CDC.thumb.png.9677a567819c23e1a7985ee4f7af2085.png
I haven’t tried a single H and that’s  hopefully my next port of call with these basses. 

3 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

I had the Deluxe 5 HH before getting this. In retrospect I should have kept it as it was a superb player but I had some tough decisions to make with my gear and now it’s gone to another basschatter. 
EC15D7E0-7B17-4688-ABEE-93CE9B463CDC.thumb.png.9677a567819c23e1a7985ee4f7af2085.png
I haven’t tried a single H and that’s  hopefully my next port of call with these basses. 

I didn’t realised you’d sold it, I should have asked for 1st refusal :)

Rootbeer finish is very nice. 

Great basses. The in-between positions are the coolest. I’d love one in ash and maple. Such good value for money used, too.