Why become a member? ×

The "Fake" Encore

Nail Soup

The only fake encores are when a band does an encore when the audience doesn't care and hasn't asked for one. If the audience isn't bothered about an encore,  then you haven't done a good enough job.

You either do an encore (the audience likes you and wants to hear more) or you don't (you're crap and the audience has already gone home).

Some bands don't do set lists. All pro bands do, so having all the numbers/songs thought out and assessed for their effectiveness in a running order is the sign of a better band. Encores are part of the set and should still be planned so you can make the audience happy and still send them home wanting more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Just visited the website of indie band "The Lovely Eggs" to check the rescheduled tour dates.

They have dedicated a page of the website to rail against the fake encore. Here are two snaps from the site.

image.png.451a2a004f64774e0fb3010f04a2dbf5.png

So what do you reckon? All part of the fun , or an abomination we should get rid of?

Never head of this band, but of course they are entitled to their opinion , even if it is bollox (in mine of course). 

They sound like a couple of Mr and Mrs Silly Billy who think they are doing something new or clever. Same old ‘indie/fight the system’ dross by the looks of it. Its not like they are doing anything new anyway. 

Who cares 😂

I saw Dave Allen in London, a long time ago. He had a stool and on a table next to it a glass of water (well, he claimed it was water as he'd stopped drinking). At the end of the show, he noted that he did not do encores, said goodnight and left the stage. After prolonged applause, he returned, slowly crossed the stage to the table, picked up the glass and left the stage again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Not sure what all this "leaving the stage" and "taking a bow" stuff is all about. Try that at the Dog & Duck and you'd get laughed straight back into the Gents' toilet, and deservedly so. Really not fond of bands who introduce themselves, either - why would I care that "tonight ... on drums ... we have ... DAVE!!!"?

But Encore! now, well that's another matter. The word simply means 'more' as in encore un fois = one more time in French.

Every gig I play I prepare the setlist on the basis that the crowd might go wild and the band might be asked (or yelled at) to "play some more" or at least "one more song". That happens more often than not, and we'd be fools not to have two or three really good songs to fall back on when the shouts come.

No shouts, of course, and we just stop playing. It's not a false encore just because it appears on our setlist.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Really not fond of bands who introduce themselves, either - why would I care that "tonight ... on drums ... we have ... DAVE!!!"?

Unless Dave's surname is Grohl or Lombardo then I'll agree with that 100%

• Haha 2

When I was a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s going to punk gigs the fake encore was done by pretty much every headline band.

The only time I can remember a band not doing one was Adam and the Antz, on two occasions.  At one gig in Huddersfield there had been fights between the locals and us throughout the gig.  The Huddersfield Town skinheads had just come for a fight.  Adam walked off at the end of the set and didn't come back.  It was a horrible gig.

The second time was at another Adam and the Antz gig in London.  They were sort of in the transition from being a punk band to being a silly teenybopper pop band.  Instead of all shouting for "More" the audience all shouted "Andy Warren, Andy Warren" (he was the old bassist before the Antz went sh*t).  Adam said "You don't deserve it" and walked off stage.

Having been in the alternative positions of (a) playing a song twice and (b) playing a song that we jammed once or twice a couple of weeks ago

I'd say ideally a band knows what it's encore will be and is prepared not to play it if they don't go down well... even if that scenario is wildly unlikely.

31 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Having been in the alternative positions of (a) playing a song twice and (b) playing a song that we jammed once or twice a couple of weeks ago

I'd say ideally a band knows what it's encore will be and is prepared not to play it if they don't go down well... even if that scenario is wildly unlikely.

I was at Bad Company's first ever London gig, the Rainbow. Can't Get Enough was in the charts at the time. 

All the material they had was their debut album, Eponymous. Is that right? No, it must have been their eponymous debut album, Bad Company.

So there they were trying to play a gig with just 40 minutes of material available. Hmmmmmm.

They opened with Can't Get Enough, played the entire album (including Can't Get Enough), and then finished with ... erm ... Can't Get Enough.

Then they went off having been on stage for well under an hour. The crowd got rather rowdy and eventually they came back for an encore. Literally.

They played Can't Get Enough.

I'm not making this up, y'know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/06/2021 at 18:50, Nail Soup said:

Just visited the website of indie band "The Lovely Eggs" to check the rescheduled tour dates.

They have dedicated a page of the website to rail against the fake encore. Here are two snaps from the site.

image.png.451a2a004f64774e0fb3010f04a2dbf5.png

image.png.ff4a0b3c5fbd85941df6bb9e9fafa498.png

So what do you reckon? All part of the fun , or an abomination we should get rid of?

I bet those aren't real coffee stains on the note!

On 19/06/2021 at 15:13, dave_bass5 said:

Never head of this band, but of course they are entitled to their opinion , even if it is bollox (in mine of course). 

They sound like a couple of Mr and Mrs Silly Billy who think they are doing something new or clever. Same old ‘indie/fight the system’ dross by the looks of it. Its not like they are doing anything new anyway. 

Who cares 😂

Yeah, there's a trend in indie stuff of not doing encores. It's not that unusual, didn't the Stone Roses do the same? Laura Marling I think too. I can't remember, don't care. 

The lovely eggs are going to get a shock when their web traffic tripples due to this thread or something! :D

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Yeah, there's a trend in indie stuff of not doing encores. It's not that unusual, didn't the Stone Roses do the same? Laura Marling I think too. I can't remember, don't care. 

The lovely eggs are going to get a shock when their web traffic tripples due to this thread or something! :D

Makes me laugh. As with punk, indie bands  want to be different, only they all do different the same way 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2