Why become a member? ×

The "Fake" Encore

Nail Soup

Just visited the website of indie band "The Lovely Eggs" to check the rescheduled tour dates.

They have dedicated a page of the website to rail against the fake encore. Here are two snaps from the site.

image.png.451a2a004f64774e0fb3010f04a2dbf5.png

image.png.ff4a0b3c5fbd85941df6bb9e9fafa498.png

So what do you reckon? All part of the fun , or an abomination we should get rid of?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find "fake encores" tedious.

We saw Hayseed Dixie who made it clear that they wouldn't be doing an encore, rather they would play the tunes the punters had paid to hear/ see in the time allocated.

Found this refreshing.

Get rid!!!

• Like 5

It's all part of the fun of the gig. Here in Glasgow the crowd gets very rowdy in this time and in general it builds a great atmosphere. 

I like how Blink 182 used to do it, the would just be honest about it and say this is the last song then we are going to go away but come back again and play a few more songs. 

• Like 2

Local Band Throws Down Gauntlet
panorama-2017-saturday-019.jpg
Ziggy Pip: Fake encores 'bigger threat than climate change and fascism
'

Lancaster, England: Indie combo The Lovely Eggs have issued a trenchant manifesto railing against the heinous tradition of fake encores. Lovely Eggs front-man Ziggy Pip made his case in a sometimes impassioned paean to the virtue of authenticity:

'Look at us!' said the indie rock wild man. 'We're iconoclasts and we're smashing the fake encore system and look at us doing it'. 

Mr Pip added: 'Twenty years from now we'll moaning about the price of mackerel fillets in Tesco and we'll still be using that eye-catching font and doing the 'upper-case in the wrong place' thing so that you'll look at us'.

Ziggy Pip's solo album DoN't lOok at tHem look aT mE is drops next month.

Edited by skankdelvar
edited to restore formatting lost when forum software was upgraded, the bastards.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

I must admit I’ve always like the idea of writing in an encore on the set list but only playing it if the audience ask for it, if they don’t then don’t play it. I think bands should have both the confidence and self awareness to only do encores when it’s clear the audience want them. 

• Like 5

Just now, Lozz196 said:

I must admit I’ve always like the idea of writing in an encore on the set list but only playing it if the audience ask for it, if they don’t then don’t play it. I think bands should have both the confidence and self awareness to only do encores when it’s clear the audience want them. 

Dangerous ground there. By that standard we’d never do the second set….

• Haha 8

11 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

This makes perfect sense - prepare an encore but only play it if the audience demands it.

Of course the word ‘demands’ is open to interpretation - do you wait for them to scream for more (genuine encore) or are you content for them just to stay in the room (fake encore).

Perhaps Gibson should put out a video urging bands to ‘encore authentic’…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some bands are honest about it. Ministry go for a break mid set and admit they're having a quick joint. It's usually the point where they go from their early electronic material to the heavy and fast stuff.

Most bands will just say good night, put down their instruments and walk off. The techs then immediately come on and tune instruments and pick stuff up so you know it's all planned. 

It seems hardcore punk is the only genre where I've never seen an encore. They've done they're 20 minutes (including 10 minutes talking bollocks) so that's a full 12 song set

False endings/encores are nothing new and are all part of a show - in music hall days this device was known as a 'false tab' ('tabs' being the side curtains on a stage)

I don't get why some people are so wound up by this idea. Just enjoy playing music and listening to music, whatever..

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say wound up specifically, I just like idea of having a set list & sticking to it, only doing extra when called for. If a band has 12 songs on their set list and fully intends to do all 12 songs why pretend the last 2 are an encore, to me have the courage to just do 10 and if called back then do the other 2, if not then leave it there. A band can learn from this, more from when they don’t get those calls than from when they do, and a good band will put into practice what they learn from it and get better.

• Like 3

I don't mind so much when a band is honest enough to just say "we're having a great night, we're just having a quick drink and cool off and we'll be back in a few minutes". Some bands genuinely work hard and are pretty tired after an hour and a half jumping around and playing and it's not unreasonable to have a drink and put on a dry shirt.

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I thought it was about a lesser bass with a fake 'encore' decal

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I thought similar.. Maybe 'Encores' were brilliant and we're only just realising it......

I thought blimey has it got the point where early Encores are so sought after they’re being faked?? 🤣

• Like 1