Why become a member? ×

Crackly amps!

PaulFenderJazz

Servisol only works as long as the pots aren't sealed. You'll need to have a little letter box on the pots to be able to get servisol (via a straw) inside. I'm not sure if the Markbass pots have - but hopefully they have. Just wanted to clear up some confusion as to where you may spray it!

You'll want Servisol 10. 

• Like 2

Have you tried the simple trick of quickly turning the pot throughout it's full range a few 10s of times? I've brought a crackly pot back to normal a few times doing that without any spraying.

After that I've used Deoxit F5 fader lube. It's expensive, but effective and doesn't leave the pot track un-lubricated.

• Like 3

That. The crackling is mainly from dust between the pot wiper and track. Turning it fully a few times may clear the dust away. Only if it doesn't should you use a cleaner. It's a good idea to have a regular turning routine with all the pots, especially those that are seldom used, to keep the dust at bay.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Have you tried the simple trick of quickly turning the pot throughout it's full range a few 10s of times? I've brought a crackly pot back to normal a few times doing that without any spraying.

After that I've used Deoxit F5 fader lube. It's expensive, but effective and doesn't leave the pot track un-lubricated.

DeOxit D-5 has just the right amount of lubricant for rotary pots. F5 has too much, but works better with linear pots. TINY amount only.

• Like 2