Why become a member? ×

The Beatles 'Get Back' thread

nikon F

I thought Let It Be was a tedious and painful account of a band who were getting more and more dysfunctional. It didn't really need to come out.

I am watching part one in 20 minute bursts and after three of those, I feel extremely sorry for The Beatles having to go through that back then and to have to endure it again all these years later.

It's highly interesting to those who live on what string gauge they used and what socks they were wearing on what day, but for some of us, it's a tedious crawl through some of the worst days of their lives.

41 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

It's highly interesting to those who live on what string gauge they used and what socks they were wearing on what day, but for some of us, it's a tedious crawl through some of the worst days of their lives.

I found it interesting how little they appeared to know about the kit they were using. PM stating he didn’t know what the controls did on his bass. JL didn’t appear to realise his guitar was out of tune. 
I found it refreshing how un-nerdy about gear they appeared to be. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

I thought Let It Be was a tedious and painful account of a band who were getting more and more dysfunctional. It didn't really need to come out.

I am watching part one in 20 minute bursts and after three of those, I feel extremely sorry for The Beatles having to go through that back then and to have to endure it again all these years later.

They didn't have to "go through that"! It was Paul's idea, and the others obviously went along with it, with differing degrees of enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, 12stringbassist said:

You've not seen the final outcome then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 12stringbassist said:

I thought Peter Jackson's point was that if you look at the footage, you can see if from another narrative to the original film - yes, there were arguments and disagreements, but there was still a lot of good times.

The thing I took from it was it seemed to be their lack of a disciplinarian figure like Brian Epstein. His passing had obviously given them the freedom to do what they wanted, but there was no one to say "that's enough messing about" when they needed it in these sessions.  Due to that, it all looked very haphazard and left some (Ringo and hangers on) bored.  How they held on to Billy Preston for so many days baffles me (I can only assume he got paid well).. 

Edited by Huge Hands

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

I found it interesting how little they appeared to know about the kit they were using. PM stating he didn’t know what the controls did on his bass. JL didn’t appear to realise his guitar was out of tune. 
I found it refreshing how un-nerdy about gear they appeared to be. 

Agreed. It would seem that the song was all, and how they arrived at the finished article was mostly trial and error. George got through a few guitars during the Beatles fairly short career, but the rest of the band were loyal to a small selection of favourite instruments. You could label John and Paul songwriters rather than a guitarist and a bassist.

• Like 2

Of course he was out of tune, he didn't have a tonepros bridge, Buzz Feiten compensated nut, locking tuners, carbon stiffening rods in the neck or a tuning pedal on his pedalboard. He was lucky not to have dropped that guitar without straplocks.

To be honest, he probably thought intonation was a Polynesian colony.

Disgraceful carry on, altogether.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just finishing my second run-through. Paul has just spotted the coppers behind him on the roof and turns around with the most mischievous and joyous grin. Knowing the jig is up, they barrel straight into Get Back as Don't Let Me Down ends. Class.

Yeah, it's tedious at times, but that's the story. It wasn't just "Tell me what you want me to play and I'll play it" -> Roof. It probably helps that rural living affords me the opportunity to watch it all at close to concert volume 😂

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I struggled to get through this. It was hard work and has taken weeks. 

What’s the deal with Ringo? He hardly said a word and looked really fed up all the time. I don't blame him, and felt sorry for him, but was this his doing, or did the band (i.e. mainly Paul) just not give a damn about him?

i think this should have been an hour long documentary, and even then thats inc a lot fo pointless footage. Way too much filler stuff IMO. 

A good insight in to how  they worked, but far too long and repetitive. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 01/05/2022 at 16:46, Hobbayne said:

It seems that the DVD/Bluray box set has been delayed indefinitely 

Apparently they have had really hideous authoring problems.
Some discs are already out there and the verdict on those is that some behave as if faulty, some don't.
Better to put it out when they have sorted the discs out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

finally got round to watching about half of this last night while babysitting for my daughter who has Disney +, way too long, and it would've drove me mad working like that to write new songs, more tedious that watching the full 8 hours in one sitting I imagine 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What is most impressive about the Beatles,  and is rarely mentioned, is their recording output lasted  only seven years. The depth and breadth of their songs in that short space of time is truly staggering. To go from Love me Do to,  for sake of argument,  Helter Skelter or I am the Walrus is inventive genius. 

• Like 3

Born in Salzburg (1756...), in the Holy Roman Empire, Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood. Already competent on keyboard and violin, he composed from the age of five and performed before European royalty. His father took him on a grand tour of Europe and then three trips to Italy. At 17, he was a musician at the Salzburg court but grew restless and travelled in search of a better position.

While visiting Vienna in 1781, aged 25, Mozart was dismissed from his Salzburg position. He stayed in Vienna, where he achieved fame but little financial security. During his final years there, he composed many of his best-known symphonies, concertos, and operas. His Requiem was largely unfinished by the time of his death at the age of 35, the circumstances of which are largely uncertain and much mythologized.

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Born in Salzburg (1756...), in the Holy Roman Empire, Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood. Already competent on keyboard and violin, he composed from the age of five and performed before European royalty. His father took him on a grand tour of Europe and then three trips to Italy. At 17, he was a musician at the Salzburg court but grew restless and travelled in search of a better position.

While visiting Vienna in 1781, aged 25, Mozart was dismissed from his Salzburg position. He stayed in Vienna, where he achieved fame but little financial security. During his final years there, he composed many of his best-known symphonies, concertos, and operas. His Requiem was largely unfinished by the time of his death at the age of 35, the circumstances of which are largely uncertain and much mythologized.

His best work was with the Beatles!  🤪

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

He didn’t write Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Yea,  but its not rock and roll is it.