Why become a member? ×

The Beatles 'Get Back' thread

nikon F

Yeah we watched the final part last night, and I really enjoyed it, much more than the first part. Fascinating insight, and sad to know how many of those in it are no longer with us.

Despite my struggle with the length of the documentary, I just can't concentrate that long.... I really got into the final part. The police were hilarious. 

• Like 1

I've watched all of it now, and followed it up by watching McCartney 321 (Rick Rubin interviews, sort of, McCartney).

There should be a lot in Get Back that is very familiar to anyone who's been in any sort of band. But then you have to think about the work rate, and the success of that work rate the was The Beatles. Help, Rubber Soul and Revolver all recorded in approximately a year. 3 weeks after recording Let It Be they're back in the studio recording Abbey Road. It's really something.

One of the most poignant parts is in ep1, where George has quit and Paul and Ringo don't know if John is going to turn up either. Paul says 'and then there were 2'. Paul's face is one of this could be all over, and that he's losing his creative partner.

Mccarthy 321 is worth a watch. I think it's ep5 where there's a bit of a look at bass specifically (not a huge amount). 

• Like 4

I have finally watched it all and loved it.  I'm wondering how many of us will now start looking for Fender Bassman stickers online......I know I have!

I used to occasionally visit a client about 15 years ago in Saville Row and found the shots of how the street was in the 60's fascinating.

As someone said earlier in this thread - Ringo was a machine - always ready to go!

It was also good to see who played which parts on tracks I've always loved.

• Like 4

On 25/11/2021 at 20:59, Andermtc said:

Agreed, just watching it now and very enjoyable, amazing watching the process.

I’m really enjoying it.
Not a Beatles fan, but loving watching their process/ relationship. 
PM is one of my favourite musicians, so watching him in this setting is gold for me. 
…..Cue the grenades 😜

• Like 3

3 hours ago, oldslapper said:

PM is one of my favourite musicians, so watching him in this setting is gold for me. 
…..Cue the grenades 😜

I think this kind of documentary puts a new perspective on him and the others though. To me he comes out of this with a lot more credit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I think this kind of documentary puts a new perspective on him and the others though. To me he comes out of this with a lot more credit.

I agree, but I also think that he is around to give creative input to the project, which could shed him in a better light.

That being said he is awesome.

As a Beatles fan this was fascinating to watch. Four guys from the biggest band in the world casually sitting around in a circle on wooden chairs, pulling some great songs out of thin air whilst fuelled by toast, the occasional beer and hundreds of cigarettes.

Having played in many bands I thought the band politics were highly relatable. Seems whether you’re tiny or massive there’s always that tension over what and not to play and where and when to play it.

Paul’s driving the band in the absence of Brian Epstein. John’s wondering if there’s more to life than being a Beatle. George wants more recognition for his songs and input. Ringo is the patient, reliable drummer who arrives on time and always knows just what to play on the track.
Give it a watch if you have the time to spare, there’s some real gems in there despite it’s long run time.

• Like 4

I watched about half of it and gave up.  Wife endured the whole thing.  I just found it horribly slow.  After four hours of viewing, I feel everything they needed to get over could have been done in half the time.

Just considering the opening hour or two, it's no wonder that the Twickenham sessions were so unproductive; they seem to have been surrounded by so many people, so many cigar-smoking non-musical people, with differing agendas that weren't conducive to creating music.  Why was it necessary for Harrison to have Hare-Krishnas in there?  (At this point, my wife asked me what it would have been like if this had happened in bands I'd been in.)

It's clear Lennon and Ono were besotted with each other, but realistically the key moment for me was when McCartney made the 'When people watch this in 50 years...' comment along with the quote alluding to lack of managerial direction (it was something about him referring to leaving the girls at home).

Nah.

• Like 1

Peter Jackson said that a lot of the rehearsal soundtrack was recorded in mono, on a portable reel to reel.

This meant that the levels of the individual instruments and vocals were all over the place.

He had to electronically isolate each instrument and vocal and transfer them to individual tracks, so that the songs they were rehearsing could be mixed and separate EQ added to each track. The sound could then be remixed in stereo.

That's why the music sounds so polished on the new film.

48 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I love the Beatles, but I think I'd rather do time than sit through that again. 

I understand you fully. If my children weren't so small that I could actually have some kind of social life I don't think I'd have been able to watch it all. I'm glad I did, but I won't watch it again. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I saw this today. It may well be old for all I know, but it made me laugh. I don’t necessarily agree with it, but it did raise a smile….

C34A0F0C-53BD-4475-9EEB-3DF8DEF99348.jpeg

IIRC the sound used is exactly one of the pre-sets that came ready programmed into the synth when you bought it.

• Thanks 1

Even though it's been fairly well documented that John, George and Ringo wanted Allen Klein to manage them, I thought the scene where John and Glyn were discussing Klein was quite a revelation. Glyn clearly didn't like Klein and is trying to give John a "diplomatic" heads up, "He really is a strange guy", and John replies, "He's fantastic though!" Likewise, when John's telling George about him. John seemed to be totally smitten with Klein😲 

I had the feeling that George probably sided with John and Klein as an emotional protest to Paul's style of leadership, effectively saying, "F*** you, Paul!". John and George came to regret it in the subsequent years, John even admitting as much.

• Like 2