Why become a member? ×

The Beatles 'Get Back' thread

nikon F

22 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Yeah when I write something it just comes. No work involved. I think it's beautiful but a million other people don't. There is no accounting for taste and I find most of the Beatles catalog boring. I appreciate what they did in the studio but George Martin should have been credited with music as much as producer. I have worked in bands where someone relentlessly drums a song until everyone acquiesces and a "song" emerges. The Beatles had that..."privilege". So what? How many replies have said 7 hours of Get Back was boring? 

"Get" Off my "Back".

Yeah you're right. They're definitely sh#t!

Having watched the documentary, I can honestly say, I highly doubt their music will ever catch on. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Yeah when I write something it just comes. No work involved. I think it's beautiful but a million other people don't. There is no accounting for taste and I find most of the Beatles catalog boring. I appreciate what they did in the studio but George Martin should have been credited with music as much as producer. I have worked in bands where someone relentlessly drums a song until everyone acquiesces and a "song" emerges. The Beatles had that..."privilege". So what? How many replies have said 7 hours of Get Back was boring? 

"Get" Off my "Back".

Wow.. your personal experiences are so similar to those of The Beatles it’s unreal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Jason Karloff said:

I want to highlight the most startling moment in the footage:

McCartney sits down, bass in hand, without anything to work with. 

He just starts playing anything. Starts singing any random words and melody. 

Slowly. Slowly. Something starts to take shape. Like an amorphous blob of clay on a potters wheel. Suddenly its the harmony and structure to Get Back. Like how the hell? 

Now if anyone of us can do that, I will come round and clean your car for you. Just using my face 🙄

Isn't that how lots of people write?

I don't have the verbal skills to write any decent lyrics, so my "words" remain as random syllables until whichever singer I am working with turns them into something that make more sense, but from a musical PoV you have described exactly how most of what I write takes shape. However, I expect that my writing process takes a good bit longer than McCartney's (days rather than minutes/hours).

BTW I don't have a car so your face is safe.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

"Get" Off my "Back".

Kanye?! 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, geoham said:

Just finished watching the third part.

I think my favourite moment of the whole thing was Ringo sheepishly playing Octopus's Garden for the others, then George coming to piano to help him with the chords.

That was a good moment amongst many.

I liked Billy Preston playing electric piano with his left hand while reading the paper with his right hand.

Edited by EssentialTension
Spulling

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

That was a good moment amongst many.

I liked Billy Preston playing electric piano with his left hand while reading the paper with his right hand.

Billy was such a great player to have on board - the band all seemed to raise their game when he arrived. He didn’t say much, preferring to just sit and watch stuff unfold, whilst adding his genius where necessary.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Wow.. your personal experiences are so similar to those of The Beatles it’s unreal.

All except the famous and rich part. And George Martin wasn't in the studio. But, yeah, isn't that how it usually goes for musicians doing original material? I'm not much for the Beatles, their songwriting didn't influence me, and just to give you a heads-up that I'm not a damn Yankee that isn't into the British Invasion. I really, really cannot stand Elvis Presley, either. At least I can listen to the Beatles without screaming "Turn that off!'

My first worthwhile experiences of playing music with people were singalongs we would have in our Uni 'gyp room' - a sort of communal mess for students in catered accommodation - with an acoustic guitar or two and a copy of 'The Beatles Complete'.

We also used to sing 'Hey Jude' on the way back from pub crawls and the 'Judy, Judy Baby' bit always happened as we went past a hospital yard near the bottom of the hill.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Watched the first episode last night with my 15 year old son, who is a huge fan. We both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Staggering to see how easily great songs flow from Paul's mouth.

It was quite striking that while Paul is playing around with The Long and Winding Road everyone was just sitting around, reading newspapers, bored and generally not interested. I'd be like, jumping up and down, and shouting, "Hey everyone, listen to this f***ing amazing song Paul's writing!" I'd probably be asked to leave the studio :crazy: . I guess, when you're there, witnessing a genius at work on a daily basis it just becomes the norm.

Looking forward to 2 & 3 :)

• Like 5

Fascinating, enthralling etc... until my ADD kicked in halfway through part 2.... I just can't concentrate for that long, not been back to it since. Don't hate me..  I tried reading a book last week.... got 6 pages in and fell asleep. 

Edit; Mrs Rayman has just put it on again....  so I'm on here

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 1

I was enthralled by the interpersonal dynamics.  Paul was definitely the leader and the most professional of the group.  I thought John indulged Yoko way too much and clearly it got to Paul eventually if his reaction in PtIII to her going home was any indication.  This was despite him being incredibly diplomatic in the band meetings when John wasn't there.  That conversation over lunch about was remarkable and really highlighted the strength of their relationships within the band.  I was also  deeply impressed by Paul's musicality, he could pretty much play everything the others could...but still played bass.  Unlike John, who couldn't play bass at all.

• Like 4