Why become a member? ×

The Beatles 'Get Back' thread

nikon F

32 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I don't think I've ever seen anything so awkward as when Peter Sellers drops in.

A lot to do with the cameras rolling constantly I think, with lots of nervous glances at them. Sellers had been a friend of the Beatles for some time before this, especially Ringo, and Lennon was a massive Goons fan. 

Finished watching episode 3 last night. Loved the rooftop shenanigans, and the way the two coppers were continually being stalled by the Apple staff and Mal Evans. The ‘interviews’ with the people listening in the street were a great bit of social history too, absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 3

I literally stumbled across an interview with Peter Jackson regards his making of this, and it really does explain the film's length and other things. I think it gives the film a lot of perspective. If you watch that with Ringo talking to Jimmy Kimmel it really puts a different spin on it.

I'm half way through part 2. I'm liking it, maybe not loving it, but there is something important in all of it. In many ways The Beatles were just like millions of other bands, the writing, the boredom, the pranks, all that. What's different is to see how the most influential band went through the motions. I'll watch all of it.

It's fascinating to see how McCartney plays his bass, it looks like it picks really hard, and all that strumming. Don't Let Me Down is one of my favourite Beatles/ all time songs, love the song, love the bass playing, I just find it mind boggling that it was never on the album! Billy Preston though, he really made the songs he played on...and just like bands do, he drops in to say hello and gets invited to sit in and play.

It's an important piece of film for The Beatles story. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I literally stumbled across an interview with Peter Jackson regards his making of this, and it really does explain the film's length and other things. I think it gives the film a lot of perspective. If you watch that with Ringo talking to Jimmy Kimmel it really puts a different spin on it.

I'm half way through part 2. I'm liking it, maybe not loving it, but there is something important in all of it. In many ways The Beatles were just like millions of other bands, the writing, the boredom, the pranks, all that. What's different is to see how the most influential band went through the motions. I'll watch all of it.

It's fascinating to see how McCartney plays his bass, it looks like it picks really hard, and all that strumming. Don't Let Me Down is one of my favourite Beatles/ all time songs, love the song, love the bass playing, I just find it mind boggling that it was never on the album! Billy Preston though, he really made the songs he played on...and just like bands do, he drops in to say hello and gets invited to sit in and play.

It's an important piece of film for The Beatles story. 

Agreed on Macca playing bass, the documentary was a bit disappointing for me but it was very cool seeing Macca playing bass in a more close up , hands on way

21 hours ago, stereoplayer said:

I found a couple of little things with the coppers.

When the sergeant arrived he was told not to go on the roof due to weight limits, he was shown never going beyond the door.😄

Also, when they actually stopped playing the coppers had all gone, or at least they were no longer in sight. Wasn't sure but was it Mal that turned off the amps, before George and John switched them back on to finish.

Edited by Andermtc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andermtc said:

I found a couple of little things with the coppers.

When the sergeant arrived he was told not to go on the roof due to weight limits, he was shown never going beyond the door.😄

Also, when they actually stopped playing the coppers had all gone, or at least they were no longer in sight. Wasn't sure but was it Mal that turned off the amps, before George and John switched them back on to finish.

It looked like Mal switched John and George’s Fender amps to standby, and John and George swiftly turned them back on! Can’t believe the sarge bought the ‘weight limit’ line too, fantastic stuff. Think the cops had to be seen to be looking like something was being done after 30 complaints.....😆

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I can understand someone not liking the Beatles, but why would you not respect them?

What they did in the studio changed recording history. Their songwriting? C'mon it's been hyped up way too much. They hit one or two every album and the rest is "I can make a tuber art". (sic, John)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to highlight the most startling moment in the footage:

McCartney sits down, bass in hand, without anything to work with. 

He just starts playing anything. Starts singing any random words and melody. 

Slowly. Slowly. Something starts to take shape. Like an amorphous blob of clay on a potters wheel. Suddenly its the harmony and structure to Get Back. Like how the hell? 

Now if anyone of us can do that, I will come round and clean your car for you. Just using my face 🙄

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jason Karloff said:

I want to highlight the most startling moment in the footage:

McCartney sits down, bass in hand, without anything to work with. 

He just starts playing anything. Starts singing any random words and melody. 

Slowly. Slowly. Something starts to take shape. Like an amorphous blob of clay on a potters wheel. Suddenly its the harmony and structure to Get Back. Like how the hell? 

Now if anyone of us can do that, I will come round and clean your car for you. Just using my face 🙄

For me, it's when he's sitting at the piano plucking Let It Be out of the air and Mal is there, yapping to him.

Mal, please. Something big is going down. Stop! 😂

• Like 2

Yeah when I write something it just comes. No work involved. I think it's beautiful but a million other people don't. There is no accounting for taste and I find most of the Beatles catalog boring. I appreciate what they did in the studio but George Martin should have been credited with music as much as producer. I have worked in bands where someone relentlessly drums a song until everyone acquiesces and a "song" emerges. The Beatles had that..."privilege". So what? How many replies have said 7 hours of Get Back was boring? 

"Get" Off my "Back".

• Like 1