Why become a member? ×

The Beatles 'Get Back' thread

nikon F

Just now, Dankology said:

I'm not sure I said that. 

But as an outsider he perhaps had a degree of perspective (and freedom to speak his mind?) that others that others did not but he chose to bullishly pursue his own agenda. 

Perhaps he felt comfortable enough in the company of those present to make those suggestions. He was asked to do a job by them - presumably they knew who they were hiring.

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I wonder if we could all club together and make Magic Alex's amazing guitarbass with the spinning neck a reality.

It appeared in the film that all of Magic Alex’s work wasn’t taken that seriously by the band at all. Nobody seemed to mind when the recording stuff he’d built for Apple didn’t do the job and they had to bring in other stuff from the EMI studios, despite him being paid very well. George Martin obviously didn’t like him but knew the Beatles did for some strange reason, which must have made things very awkward to say the least.

I watched this and was a little disappointed tbh, I'm a massive Beatles fan but I only watched the 1st part, 2 and a half hours of watching rehearsals complete with all the tedious parts was enough to convince me I didn't need to watch the 2nd part.

I kind of feel like if the whole thing was edited down to a couple of hours to the absolute hilights this would be great but 7+ hours of this is too much as much as I love and respect the Beatles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thewalruswaspaul said:

I watched this and was a little disappointed tbh, I'm a massive Beatles fan but I only watched the 1st part, 2 and a half hours of watching rehearsals complete with all the tedious parts was enough to convince me I didn't need to watch the 2nd part.

I kind of feel like if the whole thing was edited down to a couple of hours to the absolute hilights this would be great but 7+ hours of this is too much as much as I love and respect the Beatles. 

Totally understand as I felt exactly the same as you after part 1. They were in the doldrums in the beginning for sure.

However, there is a dynamic/story arc to the whole documentary that is well worth sticking around for. 😉

• Like 4

6 hours ago, thewalruswaspaul said:

Yup. I feel exactly the same. The first episode was great, watching all the behind the scenes stuff and the birth of some amazing songs and ideas. But by half way through the second episode I'd well and truly tuned out and found myself playing with my phone for most of it. 

I suppose it is a lot more interesting for people who know about the producers, sound engineers, etc. But the Beatles were well before my time and something I've only got into in recent years. So I have absolutely no idea who any of these people are, and the series doesn't really go out of its way to explain it. 

From my perspective it's just hours of John, Paul, George, and Ringo, p#ssing about in front of a load of hangers on, who all talk over the top of each other with really badly overdubbed audio, so most of the time you have no idea who's talking or what's going on. 

I was a massive fan of the way Peter Jackson did They Shall Not Grow Old. It was an absolutely amazing piece of work. But despite absolutely loving the Beatles music, I'm finding this extremely disappointing. The whole thing could have been edited down to a three hour documentary and would have worked much better imo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thewalruswaspaul said:

I glad you said that because I'm the same. Watched the first one and found it to be a bit boring. Won't be watching the second one. And it's not like I don't know how the story ends...

Agree too about the editing.

Edited by MacDaddy
Feckin autocorrect!

I think the tedium is in there because there was a lot of tedium, a lot of going nowhere. That's what's makes it so exhilarating when it finally does start to... ahem... come together. To cut that out for the sake of a highlights package is to remove most of the story. The bickering, the frustration, the tension, the boredom, it's all there for a reason. As @miles'tone says, there's an arc to the whole thing.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

I'm up to about halfway into episode 2 and I have really noticed the Apple effect - lots of "creative types" hanging on and trying to constantly suggest more lavish ways to spend the Beatles money

I love how it's the hippy George who says "who's going to cough up for that?" And "careful with that 8 track it cost me ten grand!". 

Seems while he had some hippy ideals he still had an eye on those helping themselves to the Beatles' money.

2 minutes ago, mikel said:

Proof, if it were needed, that work and home life should be kept well apart. Re the ever present girlfriends.

tricky, we've had a few girlfriends turn up for practice sessions in the early days of a relationship, however, they soon get bored and stop coming to rehearsals, if they started expressing an opinion it's a different ball game though

13 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I love how it's the hippy George who says "who's going to cough up for that?"

It was when the guy looked straight back at him and went "you" and laughed that it really hit home for me.

I'm in the "bring it all on" camp - I'd happily watch all 600 hours if I could - it is just such a historical timepiece.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I wonder if we could all club together and make Magic Alex's amazing guitarbass with the spinning neck a reality.

I think, in order to make any of Magic Alex's creations a working reality, you'd need actual magic, rather than money.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, thewalruswaspaul said:

Glad you posted this for as inquisitive as I am about the era I don't love or respect the beatles. Enjoyed that album "The Beatles" quite much but the rest yawn...