Why become a member? ×

The Beatles 'Get Back' thread

nikon F

On 26/11/2021 at 06:43, wateroftyne said:

Sound crazy saying this, but it actually has a bit of a ‘Gone Fishing’ vibe in places, where you’re just eavesdropping in on conversation between old friends.

/\ This. Not scripted, just four old mates trying to make music while the old "Gang" culture is melting. New Wives, girlfriends, kids etc start to become more important. Lets face it, we have mostly been there, without the blinding talent obviously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Didn't know Ringo played the piano, and better than Lennon too...although my cat could play the Piano better than Lennon.

To be fair, although he comes over as a bit of a d***, theres no denying McCartneys talent and competence on every instrument he touches during the film. Hes even a halfway decent drummer.

It truly makes me laugh, makes me sad 30 seconds later.  The fact that the 61 Hofner is there at the beginning… that John is obviously stoned at times, and Paul is trying very hard to find entertainment in that… there’s just so much to absorb, and can’t possibly take it all in in one viewing.  It’s brilliant stuff though, an amazing window.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Didn't know Ringo played the piano, and better than Lennon too...although my cat could play the Piano better than Lennon.

To be fair, although he comes over as a bit of a d***, theres no denying McCartneys talent and competence on every instrument he touches during the film. Hes even a halfway decent drummer.

He is a gifted musician, but he plays drums like a bassist.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

As much as I like the Beatles. I'm finding each episode about an hour too long. There's only so much of watching them clowning around I can take before it starts to get tedious. 

I'm with you on that. I love the Beatles, and I love the insight this documentary gives. My wife isn't a Beatles fan but appreciates them, she's more interested in it than me! Some of the sections are just too long, tedious and the audio is unclear. I get that the rambling conversations are part of painting the picture but it just goes on too long for me. I don't need to see four comedy versions of the same old rock n roll songs. However, seeing Paul and John just knock out old songs from when they were kids and sharing a laugh really dispels the impression that everyone hated each other throughout this album. Paul is a taskmaster but I sympathize with him, the task was two weeks to write an album and do it as a live show, so he's turned up with ideas and ready to work. Everyone else just wants to consume an unhealthy amount of toast. It's great when Billy comes in though, I'd forgotten about that. They certainly behave when an outsider they respect appears. It's telling how in the early parts they're all in agreement they need an "adult" to tell them what to do!

• Like 5

Watched it this weekend....Still recovering from it.

Been a huge Beatles fan since 45 years but this footage just floored me..Made a lot of things more clearer.

Perhaps some things should have been explained a bit more but Jackson choose not to..

The fact that Harrison left the day after Patty Boyd left him..the fact that Yoko just lost a child.

When they finally got to the roof, they just nailed it and they showed how good they can be in stressful situations...

• Like 4

So far I’ve only seen part 1.

I agree it’s probably a little too long. I had to split the episode in to two shifts! However, I’ve rather enjoyed it.

My takeaways so far….

- It’s great watching these legendary songs being built. Such a great insight. 
- I rather like the early, less subtle version of Get Back’s lyrics.

- McCartney is a genius. A fantastic songwriter, leading the band while remaining positive.

- I loved seeing Harrison playing bass like a guitar, and still knocking out a quality bass-line. I might need to buy me a Bass VI!

- Harrison seems remarkably chilled and agreeable, content playing 3rd fiddle to the others - despite the fact he wasn’t exactly lacking ideas, creativity or talent! Obviously bottling quite a lot up, leading to him just unexpectedly walking out.

- Lennon doesn’t seem especially engaged, often verging on being negative or unpleasant. I don’t think he’s filmed more than arm’s length away from Yoko at any point. I’d have struggled to tolerate this as a band mate, and it’s interesting that the others basically ignore her presence.

George

Edited by geoham
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

…?

Just a humorous jab at Peter Jackson's incapability to cut anything out. "The Hobbit" took me 2 hours to read, and a fortnight to watch 😅 Which is exactly what made him perfect for this job, and I'm loving it (as I did LOTR). 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, geoham said:

Lennon doesn’t seem especially engaged, often verging on being negative or unpleasant. I don’t think he’s filmed more than arm’s length away from Yoko at any point. I’d have struggled to tolerate this as a band mate, and it’s interesting that the others basically ignore her presence.

I thought it was funny that Paul criticised Yoko's presence ... With Linda sat next to him. I think she even chimed in. I can't remember exactly it was 4hrs of documentary ago

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Talked to my sister yesterday - she's an American citizen living in California.

She told me that the whole vibe in the USA is, "We're sorry Yoko, we didn't understand". 😂

I've worked for many years with Eddie Veale, who engineered and edited Lennon's Imagine album whilst building studios for Lennon, Harrison and (I think) Ringo, he's always maintained that Yoko was the making of John Lennon, and that there was a reason he (Eddie) never took to McCartney the way he did to the others. I've not heard his take on Get Back as yet, but he was interviewed for the Above Us Only Sky documentary about the making of imagine, which I thought was very good. 

I think Get Back was very sympathetic to Paul McCartney and I thought it was interesting that John Lennon was the one pushing to have Harrison's compositions included in the later parts of the documentary. I also think that, whilst the album probably wouldn't have been made without McCartney's drive and talent, it was him that ultimately led to Harrison's dissatisfaction and the split.

I also think Ringo is a f*cking machine, he didn't miss a beat.

• Like 6