Why become a member? ×

The Beatles 'Get Back' thread

nikon F

26 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

That's certainly not what I took away from the first episode today.

Music isn’t a competition and none of us have the answers. If you enjoy it, then that’s all that matters. Personally, after watching a bit of it I’m sure what it aims to achieve, but possibly I’m not the core audience. 

• Like 2

My take from watching episode 1 and genuinely not being a Beatles fan at all, it's fascinating to watch the moments of creativity that spawned some of the most famous songs in the history of modern music, Get Back, Let It Be... Watching the dynamic between the band members that is utterly familiar to any of us who have written music in a collaborative setting is equally compelling.

I'll be watching the other episodes, it's a rare glimpse of history, regardless of the accusations of spin that are being levelled at Jackson's editing decisions.

• Like 6

I loved it. Seeing them appear human as they struggle to come up with something, the frustration, and then watching McCartney plucking Get Back, The Long and Winding Road and Let It Be out of thin air... just amazing, but the work which went into those songs is evident too. Brilliant. Can't wait to see part two.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I loved it. Seeing them appear human as they struggle to come up with something, the frustration, and then watching McCartney plucking Get Back, The Long and Winding Road and Let It Be out of thin air... just amazing, but the work which went into those songs is evident too. Brilliant. Can't wait to see part two.

Totally agree. We sat down to watch it and were a bit concerned how long it was - needn’t have worried as it held our attention throughout ( and Mrs CP didn’t even nod off once....). Superb.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Gobsmacked by just how much the bass player had clearly become the de facto creative director of this most successful song writing crew, and who the rest of the band looked to for leadership and direction.

I agree that the show definitely made it look like that. I wonder how much of that is really just footage selection. Paul & Ringo really come across as likeable people, John & George not so much.

• Like 1

Haven't seen it yet, but it has picqued my interest.

I do have in my collection the Let It Be album with the glossy booklet that came out as a special edition at launch time. Quite collectable now, I'd guess. I got it from a pokey little record shop as a "might as well purchase". 

IMG_0710.JPG

24 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Haven't seen it yet, but it has picqued my interest.

I do have in my collection the Let It Be album with the glossy booklet that came out as a special edition at launch time. Quite collectable now, I'd guess. I got it from a pokey little record shop as a "might as well purchase". 

IMG_0710.JPG

About a grand depending on condition. Nice investment!

• Like 1

I love how, when the four most famous and influential musicians of the time (possibly ever) get together to compose and rehearse on a strict deadline, what do they do? Bum around for two days playing half-remembered snatches of songs from their youth and cracking childish jokes. Just like the rest of us.

Episode 1 was a remarkable thing to watch, I frequently had goosebumps. Bonus comedy points for the director's obsession with torchlit Arabs.

• Like 4

Yeh, just get the app from the store on your TV’s options - on my LG you access from the white button with a black house logo ( (I think!) My daughter has Disney+ so she kindly allows me to be one of her 5 users. I think it’s around £7.99 a month to sign up. She says you can sign up for one month and then cancel, and from what I’ve seen of ‘Get Back’ it’s easily worth it for that alone.

(Even better if you know someone who’ll let you be one of their 5 chums!)

Edited by casapete
  • Thanks 1

And Billy, too. He seemed to be having a ball. I wonder how he felt about it, given the level of names he had played with before. Just go in for a chat and next thing you're the fifth Beatle 😂

Anyway, Good Lady J and I watched part 3 yesterday and loved it. Loved the whole thing. Lennon and McCartney could say so much to each other just using their eyes. I felt sorry for George, at times, he was just on the outside of this incredible relationship, Ringo too, but you could see how, once the music started to flow, they all lightened up and spent so much time laughing with each other. The Twickenham bits were hard to watch but I think served their purpose showing how things changed when they were in a more comfortable environment. Just seeing how hard they had to work at refining their ideas into the songs I know and love was such great insight for me. Glyn Johns deserves a mention for his incredible outfits too 😁

If/when this comes out on Bluray, I'll definitely pick it up, I could happily sit through it again and again.

• Like 3