Why become a member? ×

Share Your Quick Tips

For those with vintage, Fender type instruments that normally need a screwdriver and neck removal to adjust the truss rod, rather than laying out for the Stewmac tool that makes this much easier, get yourself down to B&Q. @mcnach discovered this cheaper alternative that, with a bit of fettling, works a treat: 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

For those with vintage, Fender type instruments that normally need a screwdriver and neck removal to adjust the truss rod, rather than laying out for the Stewmac tool that makes this much easier, get yourself down toversiins o B&Q. @mcnach discovered this cheaper alternative that, with a bit of fettling, works a treat: 

I've made simple versions of that kind of thing from a bit of flat metal bar bent over 90° in a vice

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Writing on those Teflon O-rings won't stick, it'll rub off with the brush of a finger.

It's Teflon, the stame stuff that's on non-stick fry-pans.

The quickest way to make 'mods' that don't affect playability or sound is to just forego them 😀

Nylon, which absorbs permanent marker really well and it doesn't come off.

Would be a poor application for teflon.

• Confused 1

Further to Tegs post with the vid, the guy there is using super glue as a "filler" and a colour fluid underneath...

I discovered (and ordered) some stuff called  Loctite 480  it's a black "self coloured" super glue which is obviously black all the way through rather than clear with a tint beneath.  It's only good for black basses ( or guitars) of course.

I wanted it to fill some chips on the back of a black paint finished neck. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's of use to anyone else.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Further to Tegs post with the vid, the guy there is using super glue as a "filler" and a colour fluid underneath...

I discovered (and ordered) some stuff called  Loctite 480  it's a black "self coloured" super glue which is obviously black all the way through rather than clear with a tint beneath.  It's only good for black basses ( or guitars) of course.

I wanted it to fill some chips on the back of a black paint finished neck. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's of use to anyone else.

Nice thanks. My current project is a MIJ Geddy Lee and this will save me a little time and effort.

I've ordered mine from ebay, the price varies a lot for a 20g pot... this was about 11 quid and change, I've seen the same bottle for about 20 notes+,  so worth checking price.. It's not arrived yet so not tried it, but loctite is a pukka brand so should be ok !

IMG_20210621_194632_870.JPG

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 1

For electronic builds or repairs: you can get a component tester like this off eBay for fifteen quid or so that will identify the two or three terminal component (resistor, capacitor, inductor, diode, transistor/FET) that you plug in to it and tell you its parameters like resistance, capacitance, inductance, diode forward voltage, transistor gain etc and which pin is which. Absolutely invaluable for confirming that you’ve got the right part and have got it the right way round before you start soldering. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I can't think of any quick tips but one,

write in the nut-slots with a pencil, the graphite is a great lube, & will help keep the strings from sticking when you're tuning.

Yeah - but what hardness of pencil ! HB ? HB1 ? (I forget how those grades work right now tbh 🙂