Why become a member? ×

Smaller bass advice

Alexxpw

Hi,

So I’ve been playing bass on and off for a year now and I’m a little disappointed with my progression. I feel like the bass that I currently own is too big for me, so it’s difficult for me to fret properly. I have the  peavey millennium bxp 5 string bass and it was bought for me by someone who was already into music so I figured they knew what to look out for. As expected I barely  use the 5th string and at first I liked the challenge of learning on a 5 string bass but it’s lost it’s appeal, hence the on and off playing. I’m thinking of getting a 4 string, smaller bass as I still consider myself a beginner, so I wanted to ask 1) is it work downgrading, 2) what bass would you recommend? Feel free to add your input.

• Like 1

I played 4 string bass for over 20 years before changing to 5 strings and needed to change my technique when I did.

Your progress may be better if you adopt "The floating thumb" technique on your plucking hand - lots of videos on YT. Another stumbling block for newbies is how you position your thumb on your fretting hand. Pointing your thumb UP the neck rather than ACROSS on a fiver certainly helped me.

• Like 1

Certainly worth checking out some physically smaller and shorter scale basses, see what your nearest music shop has plus there might be fellow BCers near you willing to let you try their short or medium scale bass out - good luck 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexxpw said:

I feel like the bass that I currently own is too big for me, so it’s difficult for me to fret properly. 

Is that because the bass is a 5-string, or because you have small hands, or because you're a small person?

15 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Is that because the bass is a 5-string, or because you have small hands, or because you're a small person?

I think its a combination of the fact that it’s a 5-string and I’ve got small hands haha

Even with 4 strings you can have a wide old Fender precision with 44mm at the nut, or a modern jazz type at 38mm.

Can make a big difference in comfort even before you get to how fat the neck is, and whether it's a C or D shape etc.

Get yourself to a good shop and try as many as you can.

I don't think hand size comes into it as there are female bass players a plenty who play long scale 5 string basses and who aren't hulking amazons.  Try lots then play what you are comfy with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexxpw said:

I think its a combination of the fact that it’s a 5-string and I’ve got small hands haha

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Even with 4 strings you can have a wide old Fender precision with 44mm at the nut, or a modern jazz type at 38mm.

This is the point, really. The number of strings on its own isn't the whole issue ... neck width and profile are also very important. String spacing comes into it too, it's a complete ergonomic package.

If you are short, and have short arms, then obviously short-scale might help a lot, but that's not a given.

If you have small hands then you may be happier with 'tight' string spacing like 17mm or even narrower. I have big, clumsy hands with big, clumsy fingers. Combine that with an agricultural playing style and you'll soon see why I always prefer 19mm spacing (used on most Fenders).

Before buying another bass, the best thing you can do is to set a time period and use that to try out as many different basses as you can. Given your size, I'd suggest that you start with a Hofner Violin bass, not because you're sure to like it but because it sets a benchmark for how small, light and narrow-necked a bass can be. If you can't stomach violin basses for some reason, then try a Danelectro Longhorn.

I would seriously consider looking at the Gretsch Junior Jet II bass if you are thinking of getting a short scale. Great sound and quality for the price, and bags of fun to play. Another one to check out is the Dean Evo XM, also short scale, great pickups and tone. I am waiting for a Dean to arrive for use as my main gigging bass as it is light and well balanced and won't destroy my shoulder after 5 minutes of playing it.

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

I don't think hand size comes into it as there are female bass players a plenty who play long scale 5 string basses and who aren't hulking amazons.  Try lots then play what you are comfy with.

I doubt the female players you mention started on long scale 5 strings. Most likely worked up to them. Likewise the OP could. But for now feels it's too big.

Two rules for starting or learning. Buy something you like the look of, and secondly - buy something that feels good to play. The sound etc can easily be changed with strings and pickups.

• Like 1