Why become a member? ×

iPad music notation apps

fretmeister

I have a shiny new iPad pro and the apple pencil.

Some time ago there was a thread (I can't find it - might have even been on a different forum!!) that detailed some music transcription apps (not tab or at least not just tab) that were pencil compatible and had the functionality of Sibelius type stuff - write the part, play it back, transpose for transposing instruments etc, but with the added advantage of not having to drag drop notes - and just writing them on the screen.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for such an app?

ta

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Some time ago there was a thread (I can't find it - might have even been on a different forum!!) that detailed some music transcription apps (not tab or at least not just tab) that were pencil compatible and had the functionality of Sibelius type stuff - write the part, play it back, transpose for transposing instruments etc, but with the added advantage of not having to drag drop notes - and just writing them on the screen.

Symphony pro? There is also staffpad, but that is non-ipad-level expensive!

• Like 1

Notion...for ease of use, quality. A silly low price as well, especially for what you get.

The finger and stylus input works great. You also get a decent set of play back sounds.

Notion desktop version (both Mac and Windows) reads the iPad Notion files as well. Notion iPad also exports Midi, Music XML and PDF files.

The engraving fonts are decent and the articulation options are very good, but not on the level of Sibelius or Dorico.

5 hours ago, lowdown said:

Notion...for ease of use, quality. A silly low price as well, especially for what you get.

The finger and stylus input works great. You also get a decent set of play back sounds.

Notion desktop version (both Mac and Windows) reads the iPad Notion files as well. Notion iPad also exports Midi, Music XML and PDF files.

The engraving fonts are decent and the articulation options are very good, but not on the level of Sibelius or Dorico.

Wow, I hankered to do some composing a few years ago but Sibelius was OTT expensive for a dabble. Notion looks great value.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

For iPad users, Dorico is free and really worth checking out. Although, the free version only allows two players/Instruments input (you can view a full score but not edit).

You can subscribe or pay a for more players/Instruments or, if you own the desktop version, that unlocks the extras.

https://www.steinberg.net/dorico/ipad/

There is also a very usable, free desktop version, with an upgrade path to the Elements and Pro versions:

https://www.steinberg.net/dorico/compare-editions/

Tutorial play list for Dorico SE:

Edited by lowdown

On 17/06/2021 at 23:38, Downunderwonder said:

Wow, I hankered to do some composing a few years ago but Sibelius was OTT expensive for a dabble. Notion looks great value.

Sibelius is an absolute pain in the proverbial to use. We had to use it at uni, they wouldn’t allow us to use anything else. 

I’ve started using MuseScore, which offers the functionality of Sibelius without the shouting and screaming.