Why become a member? ×

Influential bass players

bottomfeed

Not talking about the obvious here..Jaco, Stanley, Marcus etc.. but who flicked your bass switch.....that isn't so we'll known?

For me..

Lemmy
Lothar Meid
Percy Jones
Mike Howlett
Meshell Ndegeocello
Pino Palladino
Bernard Edwards
Aron Hodek
Ellen Alaverdyan
Philippe Bussonnet...

yes I know  Pino is well known... But I first heard him with Gary Newman..blew me away! 

Bernard also. . so appreciate his ways since Chic go out with that guy who overplays on everything! 

Edited by bottomfeed

My four were always Jaco, Percy Jones, Jeff Berlin and Jimmy Johnson. 

Then Dave Holland, Ron Carter, Marc Johnson, Charlie Haden, Paul Chambers, Martin Brierley, John Giblin, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Anthony Jackson, John Patitucci, Dudley Phillips, Renaud Garcia-Fons and a few dozen other people. 

• Like 1

When I was at school my Art teacher, Mr Smalley (I'm sure he smoked dope!) had an amazing taste in music and would play albums during lessons.

This is where I first heard Weather Report and Stanley Clarke - didn't appreciate the music as much as I do now but it certainly inspired my love of the Bass guitar. 

• Like 2

Pino, notably his ‘80s fretless work.

Tony Levin, his work with Peter Gabriel

Roscoe Beck, he worked with Robben Ford & Eric Johnson, 2 of my all time favourite guitarists.

Chris Childs, better known for being a member of Thunder, but I used to see him regularly at a local music venue playing with Bad Influence.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Pino, notably his ‘80s fretless work.

Tony Levin, his work with Peter Gabriel

Roscoe Beck, he worked with Robben Ford & Eric Johnson, 2 of my all time favourite guitarists.

Chris Childs, better known for being a member of Thunder, but I used to see him regularly at a local music venue playing with Bad Influence.

Chris Childs was from Cardiff wasn't he? I think I saw him at the Four Bars Inn once. Played a Status? 

- international bands: Tina Weymouth, Suzi Quattro, Sting (fretless), Wilbur Bascomb (J. Beck - Wired), Billy Sheehan, many less known studio bassists

- rare exports: Pekka Pohjola, Jonas Hellborg, Tom Kennedy

- double speciality: Edgar Meyer, Marc Johnson