Why become a member? ×

Hohner Arbor Series P bass

DubDelay

They're OK, but pretty generic 80s Korean-made low/midrange stuff. 70s Hohners were made in Japan by Moridaira Gakki, & were very good (see Prince's MadCat Tele) but in the early 80s manufacture went to Korea, divided into the top quality Cort-made Professional range & below that Arbor & Rockwood. Quality of these can be a bit of a lottery and I think it'll feel a bit cheap compared with an SR800.

On balance I'd say €160 is a bit over the odds. If this was half that price or less it might be worth a punt, but for that money you could pick up a new Harley Benton or J&D, which for budget instruments have a great reputation for build & quality.

• Thanks 1

couple of years ago bought a very cheap used Rockwood guitar, it had a great neck, solid maple, but a mdf body that was soft and heavy and easily damaged, didn't hold screws well and the fixtures and fittings were as nasty cheap as they ever could be, I still have the neck and the super thick cast neck plate

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

They're OK, but pretty generic 80s Korean-made low/midrange stuff. 70s Hohners were made in Japan by Moridaira Gakki, & were very good (see Prince's MadCat Tele) but in the early 80s manufacture went to Korea, divided into the top quality Cort-made Professional range & below that Arbor & Rockwood. Quality of these can be a bit of a lottery and I think it'll feel a bit cheap compared with an SR800.

On balance I'd say €160 is a bit over the odds. If this was half that price or less it might be worth a punt, but for that money you could pick up a new Harley Benton or J&D, which for budget instruments have a great reputation for build & quality.

Good advice thank you. It’s a pass so.

48 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

couple of years ago bought a very cheap used Rockwood guitar, it had a great neck, solid maple, but a mdf body that was soft and heavy and easily damaged, didn't hold screws well and the fixtures and fittings were as nasty cheap as they ever could be, I still have the neck and the super thick cast neck plate

the neck on the Arbor Series Les Paul I have is lovely too, the rest not so good. The guitar is super heavy too.

• Like 1