Why become a member? ×

Elites Groundwounds, Any thoughts

Chienmortbb

12 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I have a set and love them! They are more at the flatwound end of things, but bite a little as you dig in.

This is on a Thunderbird though, so they may be brighter on other basses.

I plan to put them on at least a couple of other basses.

What is the tension like?

Im an Elites user (flats, grounds, nickel). The grounds are high tension, to me they feel even more so than their flats. Great strings but initially very unbalanced sound wise.  The E is particularly tubby in comparison to the rest but eventually they do even out. I may gave a used set somewhere i could dig out for you

I used to play the Stadium Elites and loved them, then gave a set of the Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwounds a go, just to give some flat profile strings a go. Really like the overall sound and character, but find the tension is a bit much.

Has anybody compared the Elites Groundwounds to the EB Cobalt Flats?

I've found that groundwounds (which were originally introduced to give a bright string with a smoother feel than rounds) dull quite quickly and end up sounding more like flats. A brighter sounding set of flats (Chromes, EB Brites, Cobalts or similar) might be a better option and will certainly be easier to find.

• 4 months later...

they say mani of the stone roses used them for the 2016 reunion tour on their website, hes my favourite bass player of all time so they must be good, although looking through pictures of the 2016 reunion i dont see the blue silks of elites anywhere, seems to be red which leads me to believe he had rotosound flats on and him using the elites grounds might be bollocks