Why become a member? ×

Sapatown

Hello,

I am wondering if the Matamp GT2 MKII works for bass aswell? I know its a 100w tube amp, and I will pair it with an Ampeg 810 or a Barefaced SIX10 (610)

One channel is based on the GT1, and the other channel is a bit more high gain, I assume its a guitar amp, but I have heard the brand makes amps that works for more than guitar.

The Barefaced 610 do have 1500 watt RMS. Do you think that would be a cool amp and cab pair? Any experiences?

And will it be loud?

I really don't know if the Matamp GT2 works good for bass, but I have the chance to go try it aswell. Just wonder if any of you know this.

I know bassists that use their G120 with their cabs and love it. I also know bassists that use the Matamp 1224. But I have way to little experience with this brand myself,

but love their style and sound.

Cheers!

Edited by Sapatown

The Matamp GT2 to me is very much Matamp's more 'modern' two channel approach to guitar amps as opposed to their normal single channel approach. 

It would probably work well enough for bass. If you wanted a Matamp amp that would work for bass and/or guitar though I would probably look at the GT150 or the GT120. Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

Its a hard choice, and a privliged problem!

Im a week or two from getting my first Barefaced SIX10, and would want a head for it.

Then a local guy wants to sell the Matamp GT2 for only 880 pounds. That is a really dumb cheap price. The thing is one of two prototypes made of the GT2 back in 2008.

The other one is located in russia.

He have said I can pay a small deposit to borrow it. Maby I should, until I get the Barefaced and try it.

He dont want to ship it, just local pickup.

Considering the price for a new one, I have to order from Matamp themselves, and pay like 1800 pounds, thats without shipping and the 25% custom price I have to pay when it arrives.

Im also looking at a Ampeg SVT 5 PRO for 400 pounds.. But for sure love the Matamps!

I actually went and tried it, we played it through an Ampeg 810e, I have that cab myself too, so it was exciting to say the least. 

The guitarist that owned it, and me, was really surprised by how good it sounded. So its obvious it works for bass too.

It was really loud, like monster loud by 3 o clock on the master, on both channels.

I cranked the gain full on and had the master volume on about 1-2 o clock. And it was making fuzz sounds better than most pedals I have tried.

I could maby hear it is made for guitar, since it was really high in the upper mids, or made loud clank sounds on some eq levels. But we made that dissapear in 5 min with some dialing in the knobs. And it sounded really fat, beefy, and punchy all at once!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Fuzz on bass is why I left tube amps behind. When I started out fuzz was all most performing bass players could hope to attain. I still like to have a tube in my signal chain but not in my output section. :)

So you like a tube in the preamp, like a hybrid amp?

Why did you leave tube amps for that if I may ask? :) 

2 hours ago, Sapatown said:

So you like a tube in the preamp, like a hybrid amp?

Why did you leave tube amps for that if I may ask? :) 

When I went to engineer school tubes were still a current technology and I learned a lot about them. With the output tubes available in the UK between 100 and 300W were about as far as you could go. I designed with what were easily available. In the late Seventies, now living in Toronto, I put together a 150W tube amp (6xEL34) and it worked well but still left me with distortion at higher volumes. I designed a fully solid state amp with 200W per channel into 2Ω to replace it. It too worked well, I still have the power amp in my work room.  It's heavy but gave me the clean bass that I was looking for.

I find designing with tubes a lot of fun. When I bought my first pair of Acme B2 cabinets I needed yet more power to drive them. At that time there were stereo power amps available at such cheap prices that I bought one. My current set up is a 2KW Class D stereo amp and I designed a two channel mono pre amp using tubes to drive it. I like what it does very much. :)

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 16/06/2021 at 12:17, Sapatown said:

Its a hard choice, and a privliged problem!

Im a week or two from getting my first Barefaced SIX10, and would want a head for it.

Then a local guy wants to sell the Matamp GT2 for only 880 pounds. That is a really dumb cheap price. The thing is one of two prototypes made of the GT2 back in 2008.

The other one is located in russia.

He have said I can pay a small deposit to borrow it. Maby I should, until I get the Barefaced and try it.

He dont want to ship it, just local pickup.

Considering the price for a new one, I have to order from Matamp themselves, and pay like 1800 pounds, thats without shipping and the 25% custom price I have to pay when it arrives.

Im also looking at a Ampeg SVT 5 PRO for 400 pounds.. But for sure love the Matamps!

Hopefully at this point you bought the Matamp and If nothing else you flipped it for a profit. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update, the Barefaced 610 has been played at a couple of gigs recently, and I got a Green Matamp GT200 used from a guy in France.

And I also got the Matamp GT2, which our guitarist uses now. I absolutley love the sound from them! So glad I can just play them now.

Even did some recording, and its the best sound I have ever heard.

Do you know if 2008 and 2009 are good years for Matamp? 

The GT200 is from 2009, and the GT2 is from 2008.

Matamp GT200 1.jpg

Edited by Sapatown

• 1 month later...