Why become a member? ×

Budget IEM systems - looking for recommendations!

NicoMcJ

Hi all,

I've used the budget Gear4Music system but my major annoyance is that with the Yamaha mixing desk we use - which has mono aux sends - the sound only comes out of one headphone without an extra bit of gear (currently using a Behringer mini mixer).  I'm looking to upgrade to something that can take a mono signal and send the sound to both ears with no extra gear required.  Maximum budget is £250.  I dont need anything with fancy headphones as I have a set I'm pleased with already.

Any recommendations?

The Xvive system looks good to me. My singer is getting this to replace her Sub-Zero (G4M) system. 

Just recently she has been using my Xvive guitar bug system with a G4M clone of the Behringer P2. That does stereo or mono. In mono mode both ears get fed the signal. Thats only £24. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Under that budget you could get an LD systems MEI1000 wireless… the sound quality is not quite the same as the sennheiser standard but we’ve found them very reliable. I also use a Fischer In Ear Stick, which can work in mono or stereo and sounds great. The Behringer clone of it is far cheaper but doesn’t seem to be able to deal with high input levels well! 

• Like 1

I have always used one of the LD sytems ones but the quality is a bit rubbish and hissy which I didn't mind so much, but when my wife wanted to try a system, as Andertons had the XVive U4 for £169 I thought I might as well try them. Absolutely crystal clear and so much less hassle to set up. One little xlr plug for the montor out, one little block for the IEMs and a dual micro usb for charging.

Had a bit of a problem to start with interference with the mixer wifi, but changed the channel and that is now ok (also now changed the wireless for different matters).

Cant praise them enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have always used one of the LD sytems ones but the quality is a bit rubbish and hissy which I didn't mind so much, but when my wife wanted to try a system, as Andertons had the XVive U4 for £169 I thought I might as well try them. Absolutely crystal clear and so much less hassle to set up. One little xlr plug for the montor out, one little block for the IEMs and a dual micro usb for charging.

Had a bit of a problem to start with interference with the mixer wifi, but changed the channel and that is now ok (also now changed the wireless for different matters).

Cant praise them enough.

Good to know as my singer just ordered hers this afternoon. 

Edited by dave_bass5

18 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

The xvive will do a great job - but remember it’s limitation of being mono and be aware of latency in a digital setup.

I would have mentioned the downside of it being mono, but that is exactly what the OP is looking for

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would have mentioned the downside of it being mono, but that is exactly what the OP is looking for

It’s really annoying - the desk has 4 aux outs and they are all mono. The singer and lead guitarist want their “own mix” which leaves the remaining two outputs for 3 people. 

2 minutes ago, NicoMcJ said:

It’s really annoying - the desk has 4 aux outs and they are all mono. The singer and lead guitarist want their “own mix” which leaves the remaining two outputs for 3 people. 

Can you not swing the investment into a XR18 into the mix?

2 hours ago, NicoMcJ said:

It’s really annoying - the desk has 4 aux outs and they are all mono.

They generally are mono - if you want stereo you use two auxes for left and right.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Can you not swing the investment into a XR18 into the mix?

Seconded to this - I originally had an XR16, but one of the things I wanted (apart from multitrack recording) was the increased number of aux output so that everyone could have their own. Once you get used to having a good IEM, the next thing you really want is just what matters to you in it. I mean what is the point of having your guitarists solo in perfect clarity when all (or mostly) you want is your bass or your vocals?

On 20/06/2021 at 21:40, EBS_freak said:

The xvive will do a great job - but remember it’s limitation of being mono and be aware of latency in a digital setup. Watch out for that cumulative latency!

Cheers Russ.

She doesnt use any effects so its all good. We tested out using my old guitar version first at rehearsals and she loved how simple it was compared to her old G4M system. 

She got the Xvive 4 system and we tested it out at home. Sounds really solid and noticeably clearer and more detailed than the old  UHF system. 

• 10 months later...
On 20/06/2021 at 22:39, NicoMcJ said:

And is one of those Aux outs fixed to post-eq? In which case it's not ideal for a monitor mix.

2 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Can I ask of those chaps that have invested in the U4 system - When you say mono, do the headphones feed give you the signal in both ears?

The mono signal is in both ears. The XVive is what I use now.

2 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

And also, does anyone have any experience using one alongside a line 6 g30 instrument wireless?

I have used one alongside several other devices, I use wireless just not the line 6 stuff. Should be ok though. The one thing that it doesn't work well with is 2.4ghz wifi, such as the X18 network - forget them both working together, the X18 will not work. But my X18 runs on a 5GHz network so it is all good.

• Thanks 1