Why become a member? ×

Most blatant, unashamed rip off bands

I have no problem with bands sounding like another band. Surely if you are inspired by some band you will base your whole sound on that influence. As for sounding like another singer. How can you help how your voice sounds?

• Like 2

On 15/06/2021 at 11:18, peteb said:

I always took the view that Led Zep were just continuing the fine old blues tradition of taking an existing song, changing it a bit, then claiming authorship! 

I mean, who actually wrote 'Dust My Broom'?? 

It's the claiming authorship I'm not keen on. 

Credited to Robert Johnson - recorded 1936, but probably based on an existing song.

4 hours ago, ubit said:

I have no problem with bands sounding like another band. Surely if you are inspired by some band you will base your whole sound on that influence. As for sounding like another singer. How can you help how your voice sounds?

I agree with this. There are also only so many combinations of notes in the world and subliminal music is everywhere. It’s not as if you need a physical device or a radio tuned to one of 3 channels or so to be exposed to it. Some similarities are unavoidable.

I do find it a bit rich when some of the bands that have knowing plundered and exploited the blues musicians of the past go on a litigation spree though!

Edited by tegs07

11 minutes ago, gjones said:

Primal Scream are huge Rolling Stones fans.

Riot City Blues is the best Rolling Stones album ever in my opinion.

True.... but IMO Primal Scream at least rip off a different band (or at least plunder a different genre) on each album ;).

A "record collection" band. As long as there's a genre that Bobby Gillespie likes and hasn't ripped yet, the band can continue!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubit said:

Sure, there's that and then there's a whole new level of carbon copy

On 15/06/2021 at 14:43, bassbiscuits said:

Bush, who were dreadful Nirvana-lite from the mid 1990s, but nowhere near as original. 

Then again, when Nirvana became big, some people asked if it's like Pixies for Guns'n'Roses fans 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I mean, who actually wrote 'Dust My Broom'?

5 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Credited to Robert Johnson - recorded 1936, but probably based on an existing song

Yep, Johnson's version, "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom", was based on a number of earlier versions of the same song (including "I Believe I'll Make A Change") recorded in the early 30s and the song probably goes back a fair bit further than that. 

None of that stopped it being copywrited in Elmore James' name in 1951. 

Edited by peteb

5 minutes ago, peteb said:

Yep, Johnson's version, "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom", was based on a number of earlier versions of the same song (including "I Believe I'll Make A Change") recorded in the early 30s and the song probably goes back a fair bit further than that. 

None of that stopped the song being copywrited in Elmore James' name in 1951. 

I'm trying to get my head around 'dusting a broom' . What does it entail exactly?

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm trying to get my head around 'dusting a broom' . What does it entail exactly?

Taken from Wikipedia - "Bluesman Big Joe Williams, who knew Johnson and was familiar with folk magic, explained it as "leaving for good ... I'm putting you down, I won't be back no more". Music writer Ted Gioia also likens the phrase to the biblical passages about shaking the dust from the feet and symbolizing "the rambling ways of the blues musician"... 

Basically it's about leaving  a cheatin', lyin', low down woman who's done him wrong (that old blues chestnut)!

Edited by peteb

On 15/06/2021 at 09:30, Merton said:

Airbourne come to mind, shamelessly aping the AC/DC sound.

Don't Airbourne has at least one ex-AC/DC musician on board?

They don't so much ape AC/DC as do what they would have done if they hadn't shamelessly followed the money.

On 15/06/2021 at 11:35, TheGreek said:

How many people thought that "Hey little girl" by Icehouse was Japan/ Roxy Music when they first heard it. Not necessarily a rip off as a "sounds like".

Doesn't sound that much japan, can see a roxy music tilt, but still its own. That is Guy Pratt on that isn't it?

6 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Maybe  adifferent thing but ... Muddy Waters knicked it, then the Small Faces knicked it from him to get it ready for Led Zepp ...

Marriott always said he was happy, even flattered, that Plant borrowed so much from that song. And after all, however much all the Zeppelin bashers go on, it's mostly sour grapes over the success. Whole Lotta Love is a much better, more interesting song

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neilp said:

Marriott always said he was happy, even flattered, that Plant borrowed so much from that song. And after all, however much all the Zeppelin bashers go on, it's mostly sour grapes over the success. Whole Lotta Love is a much better, more interesting song

Yes, I'm not complainign about anyone. It's music; borrowing, copying, using creatively is normal and good. I'm all for it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Yes, I'm not complainign about anyone. It's music; borrowing, copying, using creatively is normal and good. I'm all for it.

Tell that to the The US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit 😉

https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalentertainment/2018/12/14/controversial-blurred-lines-suit-ends-in-5-million-verdict/?sh=32da2caf6ffe

6 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

from 16 secs

from the beginning

But can you copyright hammering on a chord?? It is very difficult to definitively determine authorship of very simple musical figures. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2