Why become a member? ×

Most blatant, unashamed rip off bands

I'm not the most ardent Zep fan but I'm familiar with their back catalogue. Planet Rock have just played an unfamiliar sounding track . Not having heard it before I thought it might've been some long lost tune unearthed from the archives. Then Paul Anthony says it's 'Get it on' by Kingdom Come, whoever they might be. I mean, the Plant style vocals, the Page style riffing and the Bonham type drumming are to a T! Anyone else too close for comfort they way they emulate such and such a band.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm not the most ardent Zep fan but I'm familiar with their back catalogue. Planet Rock have just played an unfamiliar sounding track . Not having heard it before I thought it might've been some long lost tune unearthed from the archives. Then Paul Anthony says it's 'Get it on' by Kingdom Come, whoever they might be. I mean, the Plant style vocals, the Page style riffing and the Bonham type drumming are to a T! Anyone else too close for comfort they way they emulate such and such a band.

Didn't Gary Moore and someone else do a parody tune of the Zep parody bands?

53 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

While I profess to have never knowingly heard a single note by Kingdom Come, I think what made me chuckle about this post was the throwaway 'whoever they might be' comment.  They were known as being Led Zeppelin-esque since their incept in the late 1980s and have released about 20 albums.

Isn't is a case that imitation is the highest form of flattery?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

I would have nominated Led Zep for this category...

3 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Most definitely!!

I always took the view that Led Zep were just continuing the fine old blues tradition of taking an existing song, changing it a bit, then claiming authorship! 

I mean, who actually wrote 'Dust My Broom'?? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

While I profess to have never knowingly heard a single note by Kingdom Come, I think what made me chuckle about this post was the throwaway 'whoever they might be' comment.  They were known as being Led Zeppelin-esque since their incept in the late 1980s and have released about 20 albums.

The only reason I can even remember that they existed is that they were invariably referred to as Condom King.

• Haha 2

I really liked that first Kingdom Come album when I was a kid (the one with Get it On.... er... on).

Sure a lot of it is pretty blatant, but Zep were the early masters of that anyway. Plus it was better than the stuff that Percy was putting out at the time.

• Like 2

Many of my friends thought "American Woman" by Guess Who was a LZ track.

How many people thought that "Hey little girl" by Icehouse was Japan/ Roxy Music when they first heard it. Not necessarily a rip off as a "sounds like". We had a similar problem with a band I played in years ago - lots of comments about "sounding like" INXS.

7 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Bush, who were dreadful Nirvana-lite from the mid 1990s, but nowhere near as original. 

Oh come on, it was close enough for Gavin to bag Kurt's beau... before he moved back to Gwen.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 1