Why become a member? ×

A call to ban the phrases….

Guest MoJo

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Saying "rift" instead of "riff"  - e.g.  'I liked the guitar rift in that song.'

When I was growing up, a lad I knew used to swear that 'cliff' was pronounced 'clift'. The white clifts of Dover, etc. Even when the lack of a T was pointed out to him, he still maintained he was right. At the time I thought maybe he was dyslexic, but with hindsight I've realised that he was just a dim and argumentative bellend who needed a slap.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

"Mojo"  should be banned, it's the sawn off shotgun of naff guitar selling gobbledygook.. means precisely nothing  but implies ( to me) damaged, fkd, or knackered ...

A new road worn bass that has ' mojo ' built in from the factory.  Naff to the extreme.

11 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

"Mojo"  should be banned, it's the sawn off shotgun of naff guitar selling gobbledygook.. means precisely nothing  but implies ( to me) damaged, fkd, or knackered ...

I like the term 'mojo' :)  - it immediately creates a mental image for me of a well used bass that has picked up a few scars over time without necessarily having to detail them all.  Mis-use of the word is not good but you could say the same for any descriptive term.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I like the term 'mojo' :)  - it immediately creates a mental image for me of a well used bass that has picked up a few scars over time without necessarily having to detail them all.  Mis-use of the word is not good but you could say the same for any descriptive term.  

I too have no real problem with 'mojo' as long as it's not woefully misused. Its slang definition seems to loosely fit.

(slang) Personal magnetism; charm. ... Mojo is defined as good luck, charm or skill that seems to come from something magical or supernatural. An example of mojo is the ability of a man to attract beautiful women.

On 14/06/2021 at 20:26, Waddo Soqable said:

Not entirely relevant but I always thought it a "ban worthy" phrase... If anyone remembers the old musicians wanted ads in the Melody Maker, a popular ( and absurd) one was   "No Breadheads" !   I cringe even now..

Or the modified "no Hovis heads" I saw on at least one occasion 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I too have no real problem with 'mojo' as long as it's not woefully misused. Its slang definition seems to loosely fit.

(slang) Personal magnetism; charm. ... Mojo is defined as good luck, charm or skill that seems to come from something magical or supernatural. An example of mojo is the ability of a man to attract beautiful women.

Mojo is fine with me to an extent but its one of those phrases that gets used for any second hand guitar because some has read it on another ad:

"Encore P bass, never played, unwanted gift. Lots of Mojo" 

Another misuse of this that makes my teeth itch is when people mishear or misquote the Doors Mr Mojo Risin', an anagram of Jim Morrison that he used as a name to book in to hotels and so on. I've seen it repeated so many times as "it's the Mojo rising!" on products such as t shirts and so on, painted on the walls of bars, record shops and cafes. If you love the phrase that much and you want to celebrate it and milk it you kinda should know what it actually is. 

Edited by uk_lefty

Back on track. The phrase "suit beginner" was code for virtually unplayable in days of yore, The tye of instrument with a bow that Robin Hood would appreciate and frets that resembled a slalom course. To add to the list:

• Heft
  • Warm
  • Dirt
  • Any adjective used to suggest a feeling when listening to music/audio.

Call me an old cynic; but when some pigeon-hole something as a "beginners' bass" it's often simply a combination of it not having the "right" name on the headstock and it not being sufficiently expensive and has little to do with the actual playability, sound or build quality.  

• Like 1