Why become a member? ×

A call to ban the phrases….

Guest MoJo

13 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Not entirely relevant but I always thought it a "ban worthy" phrase... If anyone remembers the old musicians wanted ads in the Melody Maker, a popular ( and absurd) one was   "No Breadheads" !   I cringe even now..

Before Punk: Guitarist wanted. No breadheads on a heavy trip.

After Punk: Guitarist wanted. No beards.

- Guy Pratt.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Agree with this. And anyone that says 'L@@k!!!' or 'Never Gigged'. I could gig a bass every day for 10 years and not knock it once, or I could leave a bass against a hot radiator at home for a week a utterly ruin the neck. Also, people that put emojis in the title... 

Yes, I agree with you there regarding “L@@K” and those 💥 type emoji’s. I don’t even bother looking at the listings that have them, even if it is a bass I might be interested in. Nice bass, but I can’t be bothered dealing with that type of person if they’re selling it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Not entirely relevant but I always thought it a "ban worthy" phrase... If anyone remembers the old musicians wanted ads in the Melody Maker, a popular ( and absurd) one was   "No Breadheads" !   I cringe even now..

I wish I'd kept some of those 70s Melody Makers, just for the ads!

"No ties" always sounded sinister to me, as if they want to make sure nobody will miss you when they take control of your mind😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

The extraordinary : All (or fully) original, except... (often a list longer than what the item countains).

There was an ad on Facebook that took a hammering from group members - Fender Strat all original except neck and body!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, binky_bass said:

People selling basses that clearly know what they are selling but act ignorant in the hopes someone will think its a 'real' Fender or something. "Could be a real 1969 Fender worth £5k but I know nothing about basses so I'm only asking XXX"

And cropping the headstock out of photos then just listing it as a 'Bass', clearly in the vein hope someone will think its some magical brand worth far more than the seller is asking. 

Absolutely this 

"custom" = (1) I saw this on an expensive ad once, (2) I put a sticker on it

"hand made" = I'm sure someone touched it

"rare" = I challenge you to find any other Encore guitar or bass anywhere! 

"first to see will buy" = look, I'm desperate to get rid of this

"if you're reading this then you know..." = I don't know 

"selling for a friend" = not my responsibility if it's stolen

"plays like butter" = I saw this on a Fender ad once

"plays like I can't believe it's not butter" = Squier

"modified" = repaired (badly) 

"from a smoke and pet free home" = my dogs and cats don't smoke

"buckle rash" = I'm careless

"never gigged" = I can't get in a band, check how knackered the neck is from me not knowing how to tune 

"recent set up" = once set up at some point in time. Maybe

"collection only from Liverpool" = stolen

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Maybe they are talking about themselves? I am collectable - as in I am able to collect things. 

Also, going down this road, anyone who says 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' should be shot immediately and ground into a fine paste.

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Maybe they are talking about themselves? I am collectable - as in I am able to collect things. 

Also, going down this road, anyone who says 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' should be shot immediately and ground into a fine paste.

Could you be more pacific on the fineness of the paste?

• Haha 2

I think it is time for someone to create the most disgusting ad from all these notes. Waiting to see that it will spread like butter (?) throughout the whole bass playing community. And the ad will be used as a reference to any beaten Fender, or whatever.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, itu said:

I think it is time for someone to create the most disgusting ad from all these notes. Waiting to see that it will spread like butter (?) throughout the whole bass playing community. And the ad will be used as a reference to any beaten Fender, or whatever.

..obviously Breadhead w@nkers only need apply...  ;)

• Haha 2