Why become a member? ×

A call to ban the phrases….

Guest MoJo

‘Ideal 1st bass’

’Beginner’s bass’

’Would suit beginner’

These phrases and more are often used to describe a sub £300 instrument. If you think about it, the ideal beginners bass would be a nicely set up Fodera, not a Squier Affinity P-bass. Not very practical, I grant you but I know which one I would have preferred during my ‘beginners’ phase. 
You often see the phrase on a sale listing, ‘Would suit beginner’ or ‘suitable as backup to the pro or semi-pro’. Quality control on ‘affordable’ instruments, as I believe they should be referred to, is a lot higher than when I was a noobie. CNC machinery is capable of churning out identical guitars all day (and night) consistently. 
Those that have seen the thread know that I recently, unknowingly, bought a Harley Benton JB75. The brand name had been removed and the headstock reshaped to my hide it’s identity but the Basschat detectives saw through the smoke screen. 
I have to admit that I have fallen in love with it. I have owned CIJ P-Bass.  P-Mexican, JV Squier, SQ Squier in the past and I would happily stack the Harley against them all

9 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

First to see will buy this sentiment!

Agree with this. And anyone that says 'L@@k!!!' or 'Never Gigged'. I could gig a bass every day for 10 years and not knock it once, or I could leave a bass against a hot radiator at home for a week a utterly ruin the neck. Also, people that put emojis in the title... 

And while we're talking about banning things, cars with eyelashes, if you own one you deserve 12 months in the hole. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Not entirely relevant but I always thought it a "ban worthy" phrase... If anyone remembers the old musicians wanted ads in the Melody Maker, a popular ( and absurd) one was   "No Breadheads" !   I cringe even now..

I remember “no time wasters” being a regular one too. Can’t imagine too many people identifying themselves with that😃!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nail Soup said:

I remember “no time wasters” being a regular one too. Can’t imagine too many people identifying themselves with that😃!

A phrase I still use. As I'd rather not have any time wasters. It informs people you won't be too tolerant of tyre kicking.

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Unfortunately time wasters don't see themselves like that, and rock up anyway....

True. I don't disagree. But if it filters one silly billy out, then it works for me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Not entirely relevant but I always thought it a "ban worthy" phrase... If anyone remembers the old musicians wanted ads in the Melody Maker, a popular ( and absurd) one was   "No Breadheads" !   I cringe even now..

And all the ads purporting to be 'name' bands re-forming ... asking for free gear.

I saw an ad for a bass player once…

No Jacks or Jacos.

I’ve just spent the last 16 months of lockdown embracing my inner Jack… but two minutes into our first rehearsal a couple of weeks ago I decided it was best not to upset Ginger… The fancy stuff is on the backburner…

'If you are reading this then you know how great these (insert name here) are.'  

Nope.  That's why I am reading this.

Whilst I am here...

'Am I the only person who....'  I always think - extremely unlikely.  There are 7.8 billion people on the planet, most things have been covered comprehensively.

• Like 3

A phrase you now see on ebay  a lot is ( presumably as it is one of their listing defaults) is 'Opened, never used'. Nuff said....

Here's an example: Fretless Bass Guitar, Black, Mint Condition. Ding on the bottom nut where straps attach. Straps will still attach just fine (will illustrate in pics).

Edited by yorks5stringer

49 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

Bloody hell, we already can't talk about religion and politics.  Now we can't say 'No W@nkers!'

I guess Stewart Lee was right, we are the Stasi for the Angry Birds generation!

😄

Right, you're banned. Say your goodbyes.

:lol:

• Haha 3

People selling basses that clearly know what they are selling but act ignorant in the hopes someone will think its a 'real' Fender or something. "Could be a real 1969 Fender worth £5k but I know nothing about basses so I'm only asking XXX"

And cropping the headstock out of photos then just listing it as a 'Bass', clearly in the vein hope someone will think its some magical brand worth far more than the seller is asking. 

• Like 1