Why become a member? ×

Donald Fagan's new album..(well new to me)

bubinga5

Anyone heard the new/ish album 'Morph The Cat'... i have always loved this guy..his voice is not what i love in a voice but i love it all the same, i would recognise his voice anywhere..for me his attention to detail is sublime. he is a true master of his craft!! the way he plays that fender organ is so cool.

Kamakiriad and Night Fly are superb, and this album is not far off..my favorites being 'Security Joan', 'Morph the Cat', The amazing 'H Gang'. and my favorite Brite Nitegown..this is amazing stuff IMHO..

Everything about this album, as usual, has Fagans trademark master arranging qualities..

Freddie Jackson on bass, is supremely laid back. i would like to see Pino all over this..Awesome guitar work too..

If you like Fagan, buy this. I would kill to play on this stuff!!!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='447881' date='Mar 28 2009, 06:13 AM']Anyone heard the new/ish album 'Morph The Cat'... i have always loved this guy..his voice is not what i love in a voice but i love it all the same, i would recognise his voice anywhere..for me his attention to detail is sublime. he is a true master of his craft!! the way he plays that fender organ is so cool.

Kamakiriad and Night Fly are superb, and this album is not far off..my favorites being 'Security Joan', 'Morph the Cat', The amazing 'H Gang'. and my favorite Brite Nitegown..this is amazing stuff IMHO..

Everything about this album, as usual, has Fagans trademark master arranging qualities..

Freddie Jackson on bass, is supremely laid back. i would like to see Pino all over this..Awesome guitar work too..

If you like Fagan, buy this. I would kill to play on this stuff!!![/quote]

I play in a UK Steely Dan tribute called Nearly Dan. We covered the title track for a while. Great tune to play. We've covered lots of tracks from the Nightfly over the years.

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='448000' date='Mar 28 2009, 12:12 PM']Darn, for a minute I thought there was a new Fagen album out. "Morph" is from 2006. :)

Quality album though, great arrangements and grooves. BTW - the bass player is Freddie Washington (not Jackson).[/quote]Ahh, right you are, that will be the erm...beer last night

[quote name='ped' post='447941' date='Mar 28 2009, 10:44 AM']Hi Pete, I heard you guys were really good. I will have to check you out soon.

ped[/quote]

They are and you should. I've seen them a couple of times at The Jazz cafe and had a very brief
chat with the bass player about Ibanez SR1005's. Top bloke and a great band.

I think that Morph the Cat was released a couple of years ago.
Walter Becker's Last solo album: Circus Money is pretty good for bass grooves too

Welcome to Basschat Pete Academy.

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='lonestar' post='448078' date='Mar 28 2009, 01:55 PM']They are and you should. I've seen them a couple of times at The Jazz cafe and had a very brief
chat with the bass player about Ibanez SR1005's. Top bloke and a great band.

I think that Morph the Cat was released a couple of years ago.
Walter Becker's Last solo album: Circus Money is pretty good for bass grooves too

Welcome to Basschat Pete Academy.[/quote]

I [i]quite[/i] like Circus Money but found the backing singers ruined some of the songs, too delicate and all over the place IMO. I agree there are some nice bass grooves on there though, Walter is a superb bassist.

He is a great player - but I just got a bit fed up with that thuddy style he used on Everything Must Go and most of Two Against Nature.

Pete - that Nearly Dan must be a great bass gig - very envious! I will definitely get along to the Sage if I don't get a gig in.