Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard

Harlequin74

In my first band, mid 90s, I had a Zoom 506 that I mostly used for compression and EQ, maybe a little chorus on one tune. I left it at home one week, and the drummer asked me what I'd changed as he thought I sounded much better that day. Nowadays I just bring a fuzz and an envelope filter, which are used sparingly but unsubtly.

1 hour ago, Harlequin74 said:

Anyone had similar experience?

No.

In fact, more often than not, bands who are used to hearing a bass player without effects, love it when I use them. One guy I regularly work for has even asked for specific sounds, and has written out some charts with effects markings. 

2 hours ago, Harlequin74 said:

So, after so much time putting the board together, at our gig last night i didnt use it in the second set and , well, it didnt seem to make alot of difference! Anyone had similar experience?

wondering if i should simplify!

In my last band I used to use a Tech21 Para Driver for my eq & gain, whereas in my current band I just use my amp and I do prefer it that way. I had a very specific sound for my last band though, whereas I’m now much more generic Precision sound.

9 hours ago, Harlequin74 said:

So, after so much time putting the board together, at our gig last night i didnt use it in the second set and , well, it didnt seem to make alot of difference! Anyone had similar experience?

wondering if i should simplify!

I've done it out of necessity due to stage space and then stuck to it. In my two guitar function/ covers rock band I don't need any effects, a good solid bass sound does the job and I don't really need to tweak it at all during the set. I do, when I can or want to, but I doubt anybody really knows. In a three piece I'm forming I meed effects to make up some of the sonic space and cover for keyboard or synth parts. 

Thinking about most rock gigs I've been to with Pro bands. The bassist doesn't change between amp and cab sounds in between songs and have different tones and effects all the time. They just have a consistent solid tone with some boost or drive for certain sections, maybe one or two effects used sparingly here and there. 

• Thanks 1

I have a love/hate affair with pedals.

I love the idea of being able to add a multitude of nuances to my sound and I'm in awe of the enormous pedalboards and the skills and knowledge it takes to make them work, that some BassChatters have.

I hate the fact that you're adding an infinite amount of variable factors and things that could go wrong to your gear set-up. And added to that, unless the effect is particularly noticeable, for example a "One of These Days" style delay, a Pino-esque octave/chorus or a filthy fuzz/drive, the only person in the room that notices any change is usually just the person holding the bass. 

(There will now follow a huge, follow-up thread where pedal totin' bass players list hundreds of pedal-modified basslines on huge hit songs).

I've hacked my teeny-tiny pedalboard down to a modified Zoom B3 and a BDI 21 and they cover the limited palette of noises I'll need. It's got a small footprint and there's not much to go wrong, or for me to break. I'm happy with that.

If you're from the Steve Lawson School of Bass-y Sonic Shapeshifting, then that slab of gizmos at your feet is 100% necessary. For most of us mere mortals, in my opinion, pedals are great fun to play with, swap and maybe even use on stage, but less is probably more.

• Like 1

@rushbo totally agree, especially multiplying out the number of things that can go wrong! I've had pedals that always worked fine suddenly overload everything with gain and noise once gigging, also had my guitarists board mess up during a gig and had to fill the silence while he tried to locate the problem. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, including some things you never ever thought of! 

They're handy for home recording, and the 3 piece arrangements we're working on kinda need a gritty core tone, an octaver, and some reverbs and delays for the more chilled passages, but if I'm jamming with/covering for a friends rock band it's bass - cable - amp, with a clip-on tuner in the bag.... and I love it that way.

• Like 1