Why become a member? ×

Laney R500-115 Combo Power

spongebob

In the market for decently priced, powerful combo.

Came across the Laney R500-115. Looks good on paper. I'm a sucker for a 1x15....although it's heavier than I'd like.

So many of these combo list one level of output, but usually its only with a cab attached.

This lists as 500w....sounds plenty, and I can't find any info to thr contrary?

Any experience of these? Guess it's one of these, or back to a Rumble 500....or the  Ashdowns (although only 300w?).....just looking for light and the most powerful!

Edited by spongebob

Don't know anything about the Laneys unfortunately but Ashdown RM Combos, and by default the Original combos, should be very lightweight and powerful. You can also add, or not, an extra cab for extra oomph. Fender Rumbles the same. Probably some good deals out there second hand if you can be patient. Otherwise the TC Electronic heads are being given away and they get good reviews, if you don't have to have a combo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have looked at the Ashdowns - the 15 (1x15) claims 300w, as does the 210.

Hard to find any 'real world' experience of these online.

The Rumble 500 pushes 350w, so the Ashdown is lower on that point - although I'm not sure how much difference 50w actually makes overall!

Nothing worse that getting a new amp and finding it struggling in a band situation. Had that years back with a Markbass 112, Had to hastily add another (pricey!) cab. I'm looking for an all-in-one solution to be as powerful, light, and compact as possible.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spongebob said:

I have looked at the Ashdowns - the 15 (1x15) claims 300w, as does the 210.

Hard to find any 'real world' experience of these online.

The Rumble 500 pushes 350w, so the Ashdown is lower on that point - although I'm not sure how much difference 50w actually makes overall!

Nothing worse that getting a new amp and finding it struggling in a band situation. Had that years back with a Markbass 112, Had to hastily add another (pricey!) cab. I'm looking for an all-in-one solution to be as powerful, light, and compact as possible.

I understand you! I had a 300w Ashdown combo, but a cheap Toneman one. It did 500w I think with an added cab. It never struggled but where I had the option to DI to a PA I always did. 

Edited by uk_lefty
Ashdown, not Marshall

I spoke one retailer, and they reckon that the Ashdown 1x15 combo is more than adequate. Hard to find stuff about these things, given how new they are. I do prefer a 1x15 over a 2x10, hence looking at the Laney - but it just may be a bit heavy for me!

The simple wattage figures don't necessarily translate into increased volume. The drive unit inside may be more or less efficient than another, so the the volume could be less, the same or more than any other combo.

As is normal, the full 500w will only be available when the Laney is hooked up to an extension speaker. Depending upon amplifier design the stand-alone output will probably be 250 -300w. Fairly heavy yes, but very well specified at a competitive price and if it's a tilt-back even more versatile.

A very mixed set of descriptions online; Laney say it's a sealed cabinet, searching for pictures shows one model with a rear-port, while others look standard and yet more say it's a kick-back. Confusing. The ported version will probably be more efficient in the low-mid bass.

The 30Hz graphic slider is great idea - in the "cut" position it is, in effect,  a high pass filter which will clean up the low bass & de-stress the driver unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I borrowed one of these for a couple of practices in a village hall with 2 guitarists and my nutty mate of a drummer. One of the guitarists lent it to me as I didn't have an amp at the time. He uses it in a 4 piece band that gigs a lot, although they're not massively loud.

I found it to be a pretty decent combo to be honest. Nice enough sound, as with most of this size I think I had the gain at about 10o'clock and the master at 12o'clock. I cut the low frequencies a little and boosted the low mids, didn't use the built in compressor. I considered buying one at one point but the band didn't get off the ground. 

It all depends on how loud the band you're in plays. I used to have a Fender Rumble 500 combo, which was great for the 3 piece I was in at the time, but that folded and I ended up in a 4 piece punk indie band and the Rumble just couldn't keep up because the drummer and guitarists were morons. I knew one guy who used to play 3 or 4 gigs a week and used a Behringer 500w head into a 115 cab that looked like it'd been dragged behind a car, it was monster loud.

What I always think about combos of this size is that you'll probably hear them but won't feel them. If you're in a sensible band I find them fine and I thought the Laney was pretty good.

• Thanks 1

Interesting stuff.

I used to put a Rumble 500 head into a Rumble 1x15 cab....actually found that better than the 2x10 combo!

Hence the interest in a powerful 1x15 combo. Had a Trace 715SMC years back, monster heavy, but monster loud from a 1x15 combo! Guess I'm always chasing that......

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Balcro said:

The simple wattage figures don't necessarily translate into increased volume. The drive unit inside may be more or less efficient than another, so the the volume could be less, the same or more than any other combo.

+1. Of all the factors that combine to determine how loud a rig will go power is the least significant. Those who are unaware of this basic rule are playing into the hands of 'the more watts', which is to say the more expensive, 'the better' marketing departments.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spongebob said:

Interesting stuff.

I used to put a Rumble 500 head into a Rumble 1x15 cab....actually found that better than the 2x10 combo!

Hence the interest in a powerful 1x15 combo. Had a Trace 715SMC years back, monster heavy, but monster loud from a 1x15 combo! Guess I'm always chasing that......

It appears that someone is selling a combo that you might say is a light weight reincarnation of those trace 715s in the marketplace. Pm me if you need further signposting :)