Why become a member? ×

Favourite Rehearsal Studios in Herts / North London

PatrickJ

Evening Basschatters,

For those of you in the West Herts / North London area do you have any rehearsal studio recommendations?

I typically use Sanctuary Studios in Watford as it's super local to me but I fancy trying a few new places and don't mind travelling a bit.  Any recommendations on alternative places?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I haven't used it but there has been some positive feedback about the recently updated studio in St Albans (near the printers). 

Do you happen to know what it's called Mick?

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Farm Factory in Welwyn Garden City is pretty decent, good PAs, nice & clean and good bass gear if needed (Ampeg amps & 810s). 

Cheers Lozz.  I'll check them out too

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I haven't used it but there has been some positive feedback about the recently updated studio in St Albans (near the printers). 

Never even knew there was one in St Albans! Have always used Hertford, Practice Roomz Stevenage or sometimes WGC. 

• Thanks 1

On 13/06/2021 at 21:57, Jonesy said:

Mill Hill music is a bit dingy, but I like it.

Have you been there recently?  They have had a makeover and its spotless.

8 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

Storm studios in Holloway for me.

ampeg cabs (8x10) and svt heads

This is my regular rehearsal studio.  Its true, there are SVTs and 810 fridges, and Marshall and Blackstar 412s for the guitarists, just what you need in a 4 metre by 4 metre room.

It has parking and is right next to Holloway Rd tubes station, so very convenient.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Have you been there recently?  They have had a makeover and its spotless.

I'm usually there every week. The main shop might be spotless, but the rooms are still pretty dingy, really hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. Despite this, it's still one of my favourite spaces in London, the people are cool and it feels like you're jamming in someone's garage........probably because you're surrounded by garages! 😁 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 20:59, Lozz196 said:

Farm Factory in Welwyn Garden City is pretty decent, good PAs, nice & clean and good bass gear if needed (Ampeg amps & 810s). 

Owned by @hertsbass - Simon is a really nice fella - donated rehearsal time at a previous Herts Bash.

RE: The rehearsal rooms in St Albans, I can't find any info on line - I thought it was on the Industrial Estate at Ashley Rd. As I said, can't find anything.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Owned by @hertsbass - Simon is a really nice fella - donated rehearsal time at a previous Herts Bash.

RE: The rehearsal rooms in St Albans, I can't find any info on line - I thought it was on the Industrial Estate at Ashley Rd. As I said, can't find anything.

St. Albans would be a perfect location for me ... I'm suprised there isn't an established rehearsal studio there already.  Perhaps I'll start one.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I'm usually there every week. The main shop might be spotless, but the rooms are still pretty dingy, really hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. Despite this, it's still one of my favourite spaces in London, the people are cool and it feels like you're jamming in someone's garage........probably because you're surrounded by garages! 😁 

I was there in December and the room we had was spotless.  I can't remember the room number but it was one of the larger ones, requested by a keyboard player we were auditioning as it had a keyboard that didn't face the wall.

12 hours ago, PatrickJ said:

St. Albans would be a perfect location for me ... I'm suprised there isn't an established rehearsal studio there already.  Perhaps I'll start one.

I've always been amazed that there wasn't one here. If you start one up I'll be first in the queue! 

God, I used to rehearse at Sanctuary back in the mid 90s. I'd forgotten the name. It was run by a big guy called Tony who offered a nice side-line in ridiculing our masculinity. So much more than just a run down rehearsal room. I did revisit it around 2005 and it was all done up and better managed. I kinda missed the snarkiness though.

Farm Factory I remember too. There was a place Just outside Watford, might have been London Colney that was on a small farm that I liked. I left the area 20 years ago so it is all a bit of a distant memory now.

27 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

There was a place Just outside Watford, might have been London Colney that was on a small farm that I liked. I left the area 20 years ago so it is all a bit of a distant memory now.

There's a place in kings Langley called Rhona's I believe.  I suspect that's where you mean

28 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

There's a place in kings Langley called Rhona's I believe.  I suspect that's where you mean

It wasn't called that then but it might have been run by a lady called Rhona. it was a married couple and I believe they are no longer together. It was just off a roundabout. I did a reformation gig in 2011 and we revisited it then. Again, it was done up sufficiently from my day.

12 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I was there in December and the room we had was spotless.  I can't remember the room number but it was one of the larger ones, requested by a keyboard player we were auditioning as it had a keyboard that didn't face the wall.

We're normally in room 3, 4 or 6. If you ever get a chance to use room 3 then I'd suggest giving it a go. There's a Marshall 2x15 cab in there that I love and, consequently, our guitarist hates 😆

• Like 1