Why become a member? ×

Ampeg CL

stewblack

Watching Tim Lefebvre in conversation with Janek Gwizdala. He (Lefebvre) explains why he asks for an Ampeg CL when he's on the road. He gives a couple of reasons, but one resonated with me. 

He said "... it kinda sounds the same in every room" 

And that is surely one of the great things about this fabulous amp. I just wouldn't have thought to put it like that. 

Any road up, here's the chat if that's your bag

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every time i have one i sell it due to weight, spend ages trying loads of different amps, then buy another SVT. Just bought my 4th (3 x classics, 1 x II non-pro). Cant get that sound anywhere else for me

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Every time i have one i sell it due to weight, spend ages trying loads of different amps, then buy another SVT. Just bought my 4th (3 x classics, 1 x II non-pro). Cant get that sound anywhere else for me

I have so nearly sold mine so many times, but I would just spunk the cash on rubbish, and I will never have the wherewithal to buy another. 

So I shall resume my search for a method to wheel it to and from the car without lifting, and give it another go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have so nearly sold mine so many times, but I would just spunk the cash on rubbish, and I will never have the wherewithal to buy another. 

So I shall resume my search for a method to wheel it to and from the car without lifting, and give it another go.

Absolutely Stew. Have always regretted selling mine, never had anything else that did what it could do. If you can get it to gigs then it’s a keeper.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, casapete said:

Absolutely Stew. Have always regretted selling mine, never had anything else that did what it could do. If you can get it to gigs then it’s a keeper.

There's a really awkward door frame / step down / right angled turn / door frame / step down to get out of the place I'm living. It makes it really difficult to wheel it out. 

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

There's a really awkward door frame / step down / right angled turn / door frame / step down to get out of the place I'm living. It makes it really difficult to wheel it out. 

I feel your pain. When I had mine I only had to wheel it from my van across a gravelled area which was nigh on impossible, but it’s amazing what you can manage when you need to.

I haven’t sadly used one for a while now. We did a gig at Butlins in Bognor Regis a couple of years ago, and only after we’d done a lengthy soundcheck ( using my regular GK rig) did one of the crew tell me that I could have used the SVT rig lurking behind a curtain at the back of the large stage. To say I was gutted was an understatement, but no doubt using it would have started me wanting one yet again, which at 63 ain’t gonna happen!

• Sad 1

On 15/06/2021 at 19:02, Pow_22 said:

The 3-Pro comes close but just does not have the thunderous presence of the CL. 

11 minutes ago, andy67 said:

The 3-Pro comes close but just does not have the thunderous presence of the CL. 

I thought the 3 NON pro was close, same pre as the svt II non pro. Its just the ‘3D’ ,for want of a better word, that the Classic gives that ive just never had anywhere else.  If i had to pick THE closest that ive tried it would be the Mesa BB750

7 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

I thought the 3 NON pro was close, same pre as the svt II non pro. Its just the ‘3D’ ,for want of a better word, that the Classic gives that ive just never had anywhere else.  If i had to pick THE closest that ive tried it would be the Mesa BB750

Trace V4 for me. The 3 non pro is very cool 😎 

Edited by andy67