Why become a member? ×

Which octaver do you use and why?

BassAgent

So I'm looking for a new octaver and the obvious choice is of course finding an OC-2 for a decent price, but I'm pretty sure I'm overlooking options, especially affordable ones. I've owned two OC-2's in the past (which were great) and a grey label OctaBass (which was so-so in tracking) but I've been out of the octaver market for a few years now. The Octabvre looks great but is a tad more expensive than the Boss and the EBS, I've been checking out the TC Electronic Nether (which is very cheap), the Korg OCT-1 (which is very old) and the MXR Vintage Bass Octave (which is pretty pricey). Soooo I guess I'm missing a few? I'm, as is everybody, looking for that square wave Tim Lefebvre/Stu Brooks kind of sound and will probably rarely use it with the dry signal mixed in.
A bit like this:
https://open.spotify.com/track/0ZfstnIxEN0ZAQjQw4hb19?si=a12f0870c87d470e

8 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I'm, as is everybody, looking for that square wave Tim Lefebvre/Stu Brooks kind of sound and will probably rarely use it with the dry signal mixed in.

Both those guys have been using the 3 Leaf Audio Octabvre. Interestingly, Tim was telling me that lately he often puts the tone knob over to the Mutron side. Looking at some pics of Stu Brooks' board, it looks like he sometimes does the same.

I've got a few octave pedals, but I've used an original Octabvre on nearly every gig in the last 5 years. It sounds spot on to my old OC2, and the Mutron side gives it more versatility. The solo sub switch is a brilliant addition, because I don't have to keep bending down and turning knobs like I did on the Boss. It's great to be able to kick it in for the odd note or line.  

I own quite a lot of pedals, but this is my absolute favourite.

• Like 2

There was an OC-2 going for £80 and an OC-5 going for £105 in the FS section of this forum last week.  Both excellent prices so not sure if they are still available, I've not tried the OC-5 but the OC-2 is my favourite for that synthy tone it generates.  From what I've read the OC-5 replicates that well but with better tracking.

If that OC-2 tone isn't what you're looking for then the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe pedal is pretty good.  The Octabre and MXR Vintage Bass Octave are both OC-2 clones I believe.

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Like 1

Another +1 for the OC-5. Why?...

TLDR: the OC-5 seems to give us both the OC-2 and the OC-3 pedals combined into one unit (and another reason for "5" = 2+3?) with improved tracking compared to both its predecessors and throws in an octave up. It's also been very competitively priced - you get a lot for your cash! What's not to like? :) 

DSC_1916.thumb.JPG.4a93a52b2ebce2a54c7727ca23250fd7.jpg

That OC-2 sound
As pretty much everyone else has already reported back on the OC-5 thread, it nails that classic "OC-2" sound with the -1 oct solo'd, which is great.

Octave-up
I didn't think I was going to particularly like or use the octave up, but I'm already won over. It's not a clean octave up in the way the Digitech Mosaic is, to give you an 8 string bass sound, but it definitely adds a bit "extra" when used with the -1 oct and a bit of -2 oct; both when the pedal is used by itself but also when combined with fuzz and / or filter. Easy to dial in a more 'Royal Blood' sound with a bit of clean (3.5/10), +1 oct (5/10), -1 oct (max), Poly setting at full range, pick into VTDI set for dirt.

Tracking
Very good at normal bass riff speeds, but will glitch if you sustain a note (which is not unusual for octavers). I actually prefer it in Poly mode over Vintage mode when I'm using both octave up and down simultaneously, as it gives me a cleaner overall sound and a touch better tracking.

With other pedals
Put it in front of a Red Ripper fuzz and Proton filter and it plays very nicely with them both, thickening up the sound just as you would want from an octaver.

Pricing
The OC-5 has been competitively priced by Boss at around £119 inc P&P. In fact, I can't think of another quality octaver that offers quite so much for such a good price. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

The Octabre and MXR Vintage Bass Octave are both OC-2 clones I believe..

The MXR  vintage is based on one of Janek Gwizdalas OC2s. The Octabvre is an OC2 on one side and a Mutron on the other.

Edited by Doddy
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Is the Octabvre actually available to buy in the UK anywhere? I can't find one

Bass Direct are the only place, but I think Spencer at 3 Leaf is having some distribution issues.

6 hours ago, CliveT said:

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. 

Good tracking, 2 different octave voices so can give a wide variety of tones from OC2 ish to EBS ish, clean mid boost. 

This is an exact description of what I was looking for. I was at the local music store here in Amsterdam and they had one in stock. I tested it and bought it immediately. Killer pedal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Is the Octabvre actually available to buy in the UK anywhere? I can't find one

5 hours ago, Doddy said:

Bass Direct are the only place, but I think Spencer at 3 Leaf is having some distribution issues.

Nope, like unicorn tears, I’m afraid. It seems to be a mixture of component shortages and personal problems. I ordered one in December and cancelled my order last week as it doesn’t look like there’ll be stock any time soon. @knicknack has a similar tale.

I’m using an MXR Vintage Bass Octave which is great, but I really want the Octabvre for the dry kill switch. 

I’ve had a Markbass Octaver for years now that I keep coming back to, out of all that I’ve tried it’s about my favourite, very warm sounding and tracks nicely to G, F# on a good day. If ever you come across one try it (or send it my way , a spare would be welcome)

C7D0791B-4CFF-45A0-94C5-54E3AED1624F.jpeg

Edited by danny-79