Why become a member? ×

NBD Dragonfly fretless jazz

Gwilym

New to me anyway... it's over 20 years old.

Brought from Danny at @bass_japan_direct

I've use his pictures here as they do the bass justice. This is my first fretless bass in a while, and it's a beauty. I'd forgotten how much more tactile it is to play than a fretted instrument.

Koa on Alder, with an epoxied rosewood fingerboard, with fret inlays, so I can get my Jaco on. No idea if it was originally fretless or not, but who cares.

Edit: here's a demo of it:

InShot_20210218_160346562_1296x.jpg

InShot_20210218_160824753_1296x.jpg

Edited by Gwilym
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Nice. I've lusted over quite a few Dragonfly basses in the u-box over the years. They tend to look quite spectacular and yours is no exception.

Thanks 👍

The internet is a dangerous thing, I was just Googling Dragonfly basses to learn a bit more about them as I'd seen @thebassgallery had a few in stock recently. I definitely wasn't looking to buy another bass (said all the members of bass chat, not 😂), but this popped up. I love the look of koa on a bass.

If this is indicative of their basses as a whole, then you can't go wrong. As nicely put together as Atelier and they are good. I think the newer basses have a proprietary Dragonfly preamp, but it's a Aguilar obp-3 in this one, which seems pretty good actually.