Why become a member? ×

A New (Music) Career In A New Town

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks 

Throughout all the time I've been on Basschat, which is 14 years now, I'd lived in West Sussex, where I've had some great times playing in bands/venues across the local Sussex music scene.

As well as getting to know a lot of great musicians locally (including a fair number of Basschaters), I'd also gained a good knowledge of the venues, festivals, open nights, shops, luthiers etc that make up the Sussex musical world.. 

But very recently, I've moved to Central East Bedfordshire, which is quite close to the Cambridgeshire, Essex and Hertfordshire borders, so I've kind of got to start all over again as it were. 

Which is where I'm hoping that what I often refer to as 'Basschat-Apedia' might come in so I can get a bit of a head start as to what's on, who's who and where to go so I can start 'A New Music Career In A New Town' (sorry - couldn't resist the opportunity for a shameless Bowie pun 😁). 

In terms of specifics, I'm in a town called Potton which is about 4 miles from Biggleswade and 10 miles east of Bedford. London is about 40 miles south of here down the A1 and Cambridge is half an hour away heading slightly North East..

Am really keen to hear about good live music venues, local rehearsal spaces, good luthiers and music shops... Whatever you can share will be much appreciated. 👍

So, thanks as ever for reading Folks and enjoy the rest of your Sunday! 😊

Nik

• Like 4

Best of luck, Nik. I’m in a similar position with having to start over in a new location. We moved to Perthshire last December and have only just moved into our house. I keep getting, “Have you joined any new bands?” from some friends who seem to have forgotten that we’ve been in various stages of lockdown for over a year. It does seem very daunting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Best of luck, Nik. I’m in a similar position with having to start over in a new location. We moved to Perthshire last December and have only just moved into our house. I keep getting, “Have you joined any new bands?” from some friends who seem to have forgotten that we’ve been in various stages of lockdown for over a year. It does seem very daunting.

I know what you mean.. It definitely is a bit daunting @ezbass.

It's been a long time since I've been the newbie anywhere.. And Lockdown certainly doesn't help.. 

Best of luck with it though.. As the old saying goes, 'when one door closes, another one opens.. ' Hopefully it's the right door.. 😁

• Like 1

I just love the idea that there was a Great Fire Of Potton (in 1783).

Sadly, you're too far North of us for much useful info to emerge from Chateau Happy, but you will be pleasantly surprised by the size and enthusiasm of the music scene in Leighton Buzzard. On the other hand, you will be thoroughly depressed by the musical wasteland known as Luton. There's a fair bit of activity in Stevenage too.

Are you looking for good-quality jams as a source of (competent) musician contacts? If so, then there's at least one contact I can share who should be useful.

• Like 1

Wish you luck in your new home Nik.

Hertford, Stevenage, Welwyn have/had a fairly busy music scene. There is Hertford Guitar Club that meets once a month, I've not been but think it's an open mic type night. Think this one does attract good musicians from what I've heard.

I'm sure there's a social club that we've played in Potton.

I'm in Hoddesdon and offer guitar and bass set up work, mods etc. Have carried out work for a fair few Bass Chatters over the last few years.

• Like 2

You're just down the road from me. Local rehearsal places that I've used are Soundarc in Shefford, London Rd in Baldock & The Pratice Roomz in Stevenage.

I've not used him myself, but I know folks that speak well of Terry Chapman - TJC Guitars, in Stevenage.

Pre Covid there was a healthy live music scene in Stevenage anb Baldock (Google Balstock)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Sadly, you're too far North of us for much useful info to emerge from Chateau Happy, but you will be pleasantly surprised by the size and enthusiasm of the music scene in Leighton Buzzard. On the other hand, you will be thoroughly depressed by the musical wasteland known as Luton. There's a fair bit of activity in Stevenage too.

Are you looking for good-quality jams as a source of (competent) musician contacts? If so, then there's at least one contact I can share who should be useful.

Thanks Jack, that's really helpful! And yes please to the contact... 👍

I know - the Great Fire of 1783 was probably the last thing great that happened here too.. 😂

Interesting to hear about Leighton Buzzard, I've a mate who lives there so that's useful to know... 😊

34 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Hertford, Stevenage, Welwyn have/had a fairly busy music scene. There is Hertford Guitar Club that meets once a month, I've not been but think it's an open mic type night. Think this one does attract good musicians from what I've heard.

I'm in Hoddesdon and offer guitar and bass set up work, mods etc. Have carried out work for a fair few Bass Chatters over the last few years.

Thanks Gary! 

That's all really good to know and regarding set ups etc, I'll PM you.. 👍😊

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, barkin said:

You're just down the road from me. Local rehearsal places that I've used are Soundarc in Shefford, London Rd in Baldock & The Pratice Roomz in Stevenage.

I've not used him myself, but I know folks that speak well of Terry Chapman - TJC Guitars, in Stevenage.

Pre Covid there was a healthy live music scene in Stevenage anb Baldock (Google Balstock)

Brilliant - thanks @barkin 👍

I think I've heard of London Road on Baldock, but I've not heard of Balstock - will check it out.. 

Cheers 😊

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

I've seen on FB that you gig in Welwyn Garden City Jack, so I'll come and see you at some point as that's really not far from here... 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Gary, what's your rate for changing pickups?  I hate soldering and can never make a neat job of it.

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

you will be thoroughly depressed by the musical wasteland known as Luton.

I'm from Luton, and it wasn't always so. Pretty good scene once upon a time. Now though, I think you are right. Pity for such a large town ☹️.

1 hour ago, barkin said:

London Rd in Baldock & The Pratice Roomz in Stevenage.

My band use to use London Road three or so years ago, and recorded a demo there. Now we rehearse somewhere more central for the whole band (Fenny Stratford).

I've used Terry Chapman for a guitar repair. No complaints there either.

Good luck with the relocation musically and otherwise!

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 19:42, casapete said:

Hope it goes well for you Nik. Am so jealous you’re near one of my favourite shops in the UK, Coda Music in Stevenage old town. Nice shops and restaurants around there too, enjoy.

Cheers @casapete

It's years since I've been there so thanks for reminding me to go back and check it out! 😊👍

• Like 1