Why become a member? ×

That Pensa Jazz bass.

bubinga5

Well there is a Pensa for sale on Talk Bass. I like to be understated but this instrument. WOW. I played a blue sparkle 5 string Pensa once at the Bass Gallery and it was something really special..As soon as I picked it up it felt resonant.  They are in Sadowsky NYC prices so unless I sell my Suhr and car I can't have one. for now.My bucket list bass is a Pensa. 

fullsizeoutput_370.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_371.jpeg

• Like 4

Possibly my worst shop experience ever was in a boutique bass establishment in NYC. Saw a nice looking Pensa and it felt, played and sounded like an absolute dog. Registered my thoughts with the guy behind the counter and he didn’t give a toss. I placed it on the counter in front of him and walked out.

13 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Its probably all subjective then. 😆 A Pensa that felt sounded and played like a dog. hmm. 

Seriously, it was dreadful. It had a high fret which didn’t help, but I really wasn’t impressed with any of it given the price they were asking for it. As for the finish of the ones you’ve posted, a couple of them remind of some of the recent Dingwalls where they do that highlight border around the shape of the body. I just don’t get it. I think it looks hideous. YMMV of course 🤷‍♂️

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Seriously, it was dreadful. It had a high fret which didn’t help, but I really wasn’t impressed with any of it given the price they were asking for it. As for the finish of the Ines you’ve posted, a couple of them remind of some of the recent Dingwalls where they do that highlight border around the shape of the body. I just don’t get it. I think it looks hideous. YMMV of course 🤷‍♂️

You had a shop unsetup dud maybe.?. 😆 . I love the finish he does on his instruments. I cant say I know them very well because I've only played one.but  it was a really lovely instrument. The neck was not Lakland perfection but man it was a cool sounding Jazz bass. 

5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Is there any exception to the rule that a colour matched headstock beyond a maple fretboard is a bit Jimmy Savile?

No. Sorry - happy to be proved wrong…but unless it was exceptionally good, I couldn’t look at it without gipping…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1