Jump to content

Record Store Day Part 1


Recommended Posts

Anyone venture out for this superspreading event?  I popped one of my wife's sleeping pills last night and didn't stir until gone 10.00am, so stayed home.

I was only after the Tears For Fears live album (on waxed disc, 'cos I'm so damn hip), but seem lucky enough to have secured a CD from Rough Trade, so we'll see.

It's just getting too big now, most of the releases are really not new or special, but credit to Tears For Fears for putting out some new (even though the recording dates back to the mid-80s).

Edited by NancyJohnson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d have gone to buy something, I still play records because I am an old git, but the nearest record shop is a 90 minute drive away and we’ve not got a car. Might have a look online after the weekend to see if any shops have any of the RSD stuff left that I wanted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was in the queue early, all socially distanced, max of 4 in the shop, got everything I was after, including the Tears for Fears album, plus the live Police albums,  Ultravox, Desmond Dekker, Madness and Elbow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't imagine I'm the only person to have to Google this to find out what you're on about.

Just to help the uninitiated:

Record Store Day is the one day of the year when over 200 independent record shops all across the UK come together to celebrate their unique culture. Special vinyl releases are made exclusively for the day and many shops and cities host artist performances and events to mark the occasion. Thousands more shops celebrate the day around the globe in what’s become one of the biggest annual events on the music calendar. 

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

I can't imagine I'm the only person to have to Google this to find out what you're on about.

Just to help the uninitiated:

Record Store Day is the one day of the year when over 200 independent record shops all across the UK come together to celebrate their unique culture. Special vinyl releases are made exclusively for the day and many shops and cities host artist performances and events to mark the occasion. Thousands more shops celebrate the day around the globe in what’s become one of the biggest annual events on the music calendar. 

Thanks.

Glad it's not just me who's never heard of it. 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

I can't imagine I'm the only person to have to Google this to find out what you're on about.

Just to help the uninitiated:

Record Store Day is the one day of the year when over 200 independent record shops all across the UK come together to celebrate their unique culture. Special vinyl releases are made exclusively for the day and many shops and cities host artist performances and events to mark the occasion. Thousands more shops celebrate the day around the globe in what’s become one of the biggest annual events on the music calendar. 

Well, this year there's two RSDs - 12th June and 17th July.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got to my local shop about 11am. Got the Opeth release? Sorry, sold it. It? yeah we only got one. That'll teach me to have a lie in!

(Got it later online from Rough Trade at the 6pm online release)

I'll be one the ball for next time: Jon Anderson, Magma, St Vincent

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, toneknob said:

I got to my local shop about 11am. Got the Opeth release? Sorry, sold it. It? yeah we only got one. That'll teach me to have a lie in!

(Got it later online from Rough Trade at the 6pm online release)

I'll be one the ball for next time: Jon Anderson, Magma, St Vincent

That was a proper lie in on RSD. LOL

I joined the queue at my local store at 4:45, and was only 5th in the queue. Guy at the front arrived at 2:45.
There are 2 store in the local town and I use the smaller one so he gets less in but it's based on what people are asking for, the queue at the larger store is much bigger but I prefer to support the 1 man band store that has been selling vinyl for years before it became fashionable again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, toneknob said:

I got to my local shop about 11am. Got the Opeth release? Sorry, sold it. It? yeah we only got one. That'll teach me to have a lie in!

(Got it later online from Rough Trade at the 6pm online release)

I'll be one the ball for next time: Jon Anderson, Magma, St Vincent

OPETH!! I knew I'd forgotten something!! :facepalm:

32 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

That was a proper lie in on RSD. LOL

I joined the queue at my local store at 4:45, and was only 5th in the queue. Guy at the front arrived at 2:45.
There are 2 store in the local town and I use the smaller one so he gets less in but it's based on what people are asking for, the queue at the larger store is much bigger but I prefer to support the 1 man band store that has been selling vinyl for years before it became fashionable again.

I got to my local at about 6:30am, and was 5th in the queue. Guy at the front had been there since 4:30am.
 At about 8:50 there were about 60 people in the queue. An old guy walking down the road and stopped and asked the guy at the front what was going on. He, sheepishly, explained that we were queuing up to buy records. The old guy just walked off laughing. Not sure if he was laughing at us or the whole deal...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a massive fan of both records and small independent dealers, I am surprisingly not much of a fan of this event. Usually they tend to have overpriced remixes of songs I already own or desk tapes passed off as live albums. I own a couple of RSD releases but they were picked up after the event. Purely by chance, RSD2021 part 2 does have a couple of releases I am slightly interested in but this is definitely not the norm. I would rather support throughout the year, rather than have one token day that feels strangely corporate,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

As a massive fan of both records and small independent dealers, I am surprisingly not much of a fan of this event. Usually they tend to have overpriced remixes of songs I already own or desk tapes passed off as live albums. I own a couple of RSD releases but they were picked up after the event. Purely by chance, RSD2021 part 2 does have a couple of releases I am slightly interested in but this is definitely not the norm. I would rather support throughout the year, rather than have one token day that feels strangely corporate,

Yeah, once the major labels jumped on the bandwagon it did go pretty corporate and the stock has ended up being largely reissues these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

As a massive fan of both records and small independent dealers, I am surprisingly not much of a fan of this event. Usually they tend to have overpriced remixes of songs I already own or desk tapes passed off as live albums. I own a couple of RSD releases but they were picked up after the event. Purely by chance, RSD2021 part 2 does have a couple of releases I am slightly interested in but this is definitely not the norm. I would rather support throughout the year, rather than have one token day that feels strangely corporate,

And unfortunately it's getting worse. I use the store regularly throughout the year, but someone else further back in the queue had never been in the store before

You have Record Store Day that is split in 2 this year (was 3 last year), you also have a Black Friday RSD releases, there was also a Record Shop/Albums day last year as well, they were all on top of each other later in the year last year, my indy store was actually getting fed up with them, but as he says they bring in decent money for him (and as the store is just him these are important to help his profits)

We had a similar discussion in the Queue on Saturday as to where it is going, but we all love records, and some of the anomalies that pop up, interestingly it's usually the same people who never see each other the remaining 364 days meeting up once a year at the front of the queue 😄. All with very different buying habits, I picked up 10 items, the guy at the front about 5, the guy 3rd in the queue looked like he was buying most of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The guy behind me had a printed list of stuff he was after. He must have had 50 releases on it. The shop guy managing the queue had a look and said they had them all and asked the guy if he was looking to buy all of his list.
The list guy said "of course. I only buy from actual shops on RSD, as I like to support the shops. The rest of the time I can get things cheaper from Amazon"

I thought the shop guy was going to drag him out of the queue...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

You have Record Store Day that is split in 2 this year (was 3 last year), you also have a Black Friday RSD releases, there was also a Record Shop/Albums day last year as well, they were all on top of each other later in the year last year, my indy store was actually getting fed up with them, but as he says they bring in decent money for him (and as the store is just him these are important to help his profits)

Just noticed you're in Coventry, did you go to Just Dropped In?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Just noticed you're in Coventry, did you go to Just Dropped In?

No, I go to Seismic in Leamington, been using them for years, the only option in Coventry until recently was Frank Harvey, who I've never really used for vinyl, just the expensive HI-Fi kit, but do use Just Dropped in for other stuff, nice to have a decent store in Coventry again, I did pop in briefly on Saturday late morning.

Edited by Andermtc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

No, I go to Seismic in Leamington, been using them for years, the only option in Coventry until recently was Frank Harvey, who I've never really used for vinyl, just the expensive HI-Fi kit, but do use Just Dropped in for other stuff, nice to have a decent store in Coventry again, I did pop in briefly on Saturday late morning.

I've only been to Seismic once. I like Alun in Just Dropped In, I remember him from the days of Spinadisc in the Lower Precinct. 
I'm so hoping to be able to come up to Cov, to spend a week at my parents, and get to Twisted Barrel Brewery and some record shops in Cov and Brum. 

Do you know if the 2nd hand record stall in the market has survived?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I've only been to Seismic once. I like Alun in Just Dropped In, I remember him from the days of Spinadisc in the Lower Precinct. 
I'm so hoping to be able to come up to Cov, to spend a week at my parents, and get to Twisted Barrel Brewery and some record shops in Cov and Brum. 

Do you know if the 2nd hand record stall in the market has survived?

Yes he has I believe, not been in the market for a long time. I remember Spinadisc, spent a lot of lunchtimes there when I was at the Poly. Finally got back to Twisted barrel again recently.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got confirmation from Rough Trade that my Tears For Fears live CD is on it's way; £13 incl. shipping.

Honestly can't fecking stand the scalpers selling online a day after the event; there's copies on sale for £100 and a live auction up to £66 at the time of writing.

We just seem to do this greed model here; it just destroys the whole spirit of RSD.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Yeah. I chucked messages at my preferred shops and one replied they had a copy.

it’s on its way to me now.

😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...