Why become a member? ×

Second tuner pedal

bode

I think I want add a tuner to my pedal board just to glance down for a quick confirmation. I still like my Boss TU 12 which I use before plugging in etc, but is another tuner going to give different results? Will I notice? I'm looking at a TU3 or maybe a polytune 3.

I think mine’s a TU2… I’ve had it for years and find it great for initial tuning and a quick check mid-gig. I like the fact that it also mutes the signal when you kick it in… and also that you can take a power out, which I use for my Tech 21 pedal.

I have never understood the need for a pedal tuner. I want my basses to be stable and one part is to learn the strings and how to set them to the tuning posts. Also bridge, saddle, tuners...

I do have few tuners at home like Peterson SAM, and Korg MT-1200. But in my Mono gig bags I carry Ibanez MU40 tuner/metronomes. Small and functional. They do not take any space from the pedal boards...

Pedal tuners are great at gigs.  Sure your bass will probably stay in tune, but it’s great to be able to tune regularly without having to unplug.

plus a pedal tuner can double up as a mute / kill switch. 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 19:43, fretmeister said:

Get the same as whatever your guitarist uses. They are all very slightly different. Cut down on variables.

The TU-3 is ok but it is a bit jumpy compared to the TU-2 or the Polytune. 

Or or do it properly and get a Petersen Strobostomp 

Guitarists tune to me 😉

I've ruled out a strobe tuner. I would be spending far too much time trying to get it perfect. What would Jimi do on stage?

https://youtu.be/H_1Vkkiv4AE?t=80

Edited by bode

I have a little Harley Benton space saver tuner on my board. I don't need it as such because I can use the tuner on my HX but I like having the instant mute switch with the tuner there and, when I set it up correctly, it will free up another valuable button on my Helix to do something else useful. 

I did a wedding gig last year with space at a premium and couldn't even have a tuner out so I use the free Boss tuning app on my phone and just didn't tweak tuning unless I heard something was off. One massive irritance for me, even in rehearsal, is guitarists who have to check their tuning all the bl00dy time. Either you've got hardware issues on your guitar or you're fussing over something. A guitar or bass should hold its tune for more than one song. 

• Like 1

I had a TU2 for about 10 years until the output jack failed last year and I botched the repair. Picked up a Polytune 3 mini and I think it's better. Quicker to pick up the notes (including a B string) and a much brighter display. Always thought the TU2 was fine till I got that. I find the Polytune ability a bit of a gimmick when I use it with a guit*r though, I prefer doing it one at a time. I want to get a TC clip on tuner too now to have around the house.

On 16/06/2021 at 08:24, uk_lefty said:

I have a little Harley Benton space saver tuner on my board. I don't need it as such because I can use the tuner on my HX but I like having the instant mute switch with the tuner there and, when I set it up correctly, it will free up another valuable button on my Helix to do something else useful. 

I'm currently going for the Helix method of pressing 'Action' and 'Page>' buttons together to access the Tuner/mute. It's not as instant as having a footswitch, but like you say - it's not something that's needed all the time so I don't think is a big deal to do (and pressing any footswitch disengages it), and it frees up a Helix footswitch and board space/wiring/power/potential added noise etc. of having a separate tuner pedal.

But I suppose ideally I'd like to  have backup for things like Tuner/Compressor/Preamp & DI in a live situation just in-case the Helix decides to stop working. I was thinking something like the Microbass 3, seems a lot to spend on a backup though.

Anyway, back to the OP question:  I'd recommend the Korg Pitchblack tuner pedals, they do the job well. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1