Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L Kiloton Tribute

Dan Dare

Bought one of these yesterday - Kiloton™ | G&L Musical Instruments (glguitars.com). Bit of an impulse purchase. Having become a Joe Dart fan during lockdown, I fancied a simple, passive bass with a single humbucker. I didn't want to spend a lot of money and already have a P.

Surprisingly tonally versatile and very nicely put together for a budget instrument. Took it to bits when I got it home as I do when I buy a new toy. Good quality fittings and decent pots - not the usual flimsy tiny things you find on Far Eastern budget instruments. It's always pleasing that manufacturers don't skimp on the stuff you can't see. A little heavy, but nothing a wide strap won't take care of. Very solid sound with plenty of midrange bark and high output.

Must give a mention to Guitar Guitar in Epsom. I bought the bass (which they had at a considerably lower price than elsewhere) and a gig bag and they threw in a set or Ernie Ball Group III flats. Very helpful shop and absolutely no pressure to buy. Just set me up in a demo room and left me to get on with it. Very pleasant experience.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The first couple of minutes of this Kiloton demo made it very hard for me to decide which G&L to order - it seems to make a beautifully balanced tone - deep but clear. (I did wonder how much help the amp and cab were giving, mind)

It is balanced, albeit with a distinct mid forward quality (which you can adjust, although not completely lose, with eq on the amp of course). Series mode is quite a bit louder than the other options  I can't quite make out the amp in the demo'. I use an AG700, which works fine with it.

I thought I'd try the Kiloton for that reason. Sometimes that fat, sweet bass tone doesn't quite cut through in a noisy live situation and can get a bit lost (I have a vintage J bass, a Mexican PJ and a Bitsa P - made with nice components). If the G&L doesn't work out, it wasn't expensive, so it's not the end of the world.

I'm surprised G&L are not more widely used. For the money, they're very well put together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Must give a mention to Guitar Guitar in Epsom. I bought the bass (which they had at a considerably lower price than elsewhere) and a gig bag and they threw in a set or Ernie Ball Group III flats. Very helpful shop and absolutely no pressure to buy. Just set me up in a demo room and left me to get on with it. Very pleasant experience.

This was always my experience with that branch, a really nice bunch of folks.

Sounds like a nice bass. From the ones I've played G&L Tributes are great basses (I use a JB most of the time) and deserve to be in the same bracket as Sire's as best value for money basses out there.

• Like 1

I got a lot of love for the Kiloton. Great value bass and as I've said before, IMO, the only Stingray-alike that actually sounds like a Stingray (if anything a little nastier!).