Why become a member? ×

Tech21 DI-2112

NancyJohnson

OK, this arrived about an hour ago.

I'm running into the effects return on my Darkglass A/O and have experience of the old GL racked version - the input voltage is 9v/18v, for today I'm running at 9v, works fine, but I have an 18v PSU coming so will be able to determine what difference the input voltage actually makes (I'm assuming this may affect the output of the unit, so we'll see).  For reference and as I'm a bit of a whore for @Tech21NYC kit - I've been running the dUg Pinnick DP stompbox as my pre-stage and have extensive experience with BDDI, GT2, VT Bass (rack and DI) and RPM units in the past.

I've had a little noodle.  Initial observation is that it's a bit of a difference beastie to the rack - this might be that I'm running different basses (Gibson Thunderbirds gone) - oddly the rack 'clank' was there immediately, this may just take a bit of tweaking.  I'll report back when the 18v PSU is powering it.

• 1 month later...

Just a weenie update - for one reason or another, a) I've not really picked up a bass in the last month or so, b) the original 18v PSU purchased was a positive-centre, so unsuitable and c) the original 9v PSU I'd been sharing with the dUg wasn't really suitable (the DI-2112 just sounded shrill, tinny and underwhelming).

So an 18v negative-centre PSU arrived earlier and as it's daytime, I just gave it a test drive.  Same set-up as above, might have tweaked the horn in the Darkglass 112 since my initial test two months ago.

Mother. Of. God.  Powered up with the 18v PSU, the DI-2112 is insanely good, the increased power input just gives more of everything (headroom is an uncomfortable generic catchall term here); it sounds louder/phatter/toppier/bigger.  With the Lull (John East/active), I've just got the Drive/Tight button pressed in and have just been noodling at volume.  It's odd how rolling off the mids from the bass and boosting them back on the DI-2112 has such a vastly different effect than just trying to keep the mids flattish on both.

While I don't think [it] has the variety of the dUg, it's certainly not a one trick pony.  From an aggression perspective, I'd certainly say that the DI-2112 sits comfortably between the BDDI and the dUg; both will dial in a close approximation to the DI-2112, but the DI-2112 just does it better.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

While I don't think [it] has the variety of the dUg, it's certainly not a one trick pony.  From an aggression perspective, I'd certainly say that the DI-2112 sits comfortably between the BDDI and the dUg; both will dial in a close approximation to the DI-2112, but the DI-2112 just does it better.

Not as well as Charlie Watts could though. ;)