Why become a member? ×

Desert Island Discs luxury item - a bass?

Nail Soup

What woud you choose as your luxury item?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one:

• A bass and amp
    • Some other musical instrument
    • Something else - please specify, what could be more important?

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've given this some thought in the past.  Unsure whether it's a luxury or not, but (assuming I'd be stranded wearing glasses), I'd go for a really good pair of nail clippers.

I can't bite my nails, never have been able to.  I don't have a Windsoresque horsey overbite or anything, but the layout of my front gnashers is such that nails go unbitten; they just don't work for that.

As a kid I used to bite my nails all the time. As an adult I find that my nails are stronger than my teeth(!), so it’s clippers for me all the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd like a very well-equipped PC, with my favourite software installed, and a fast, reliable, interweb access. I could keep a beady eye open on the BC shenanigans with that, in between composing or playing with virtual trains. Solar-powered, naturally.

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've given this some thought in the past.  Unsure whether it's a luxury or not, but (assuming I'd be stranded wearing glasses), I'd go for a really good pair of nail clippers.

I can't bite my nails, never have been able to.  I don't have a Windsoresque horsey overbite or anything, but the layout of my front gnashers is such that nails go unbitten; they just don't work for that.

I must admit never thought about that before….. people who can’t stop biting them, yes!

However I doubt there’s many here who can bite their toenails😃.

On 12/06/2021 at 13:43, Bobthedog said:

An Octobass is a musical instrument like a large double bass. I am sure that is allowed. 😊

I did know that. It was your idea to use it as dinghy that made me veto it. You can have it then, but only if you promise not to use it as a boat!

Edited by Count Bassy
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

I did know that. It was you idea to use it as dinghy that made me veto it. You can have it then, but only if you promise not to use it as a boat!

Choosing the octobass and then finding out it won’t get you off the island.

Must be a similar feeling to choosing to be a bass player and then finding out it won’t get you the girls/boys😃!

• Haha 2

Luxury item for me would definitely be a musical instrument of some kind.

I'm going for an acoustic guitar.... amongst other things I fancy leaning Piedmont Blues and Ragtime picking styles.

I would however need some instructional materials, I'd never figure it out myself!