Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic 800 and 550 on sale @ andertons

Richard Jinman

6 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

Andertons have new TC BH800 and 550 amps for £249 and £199 respectively which seems pretty amazing. Anyone got one of these and can recommend or warn off? I’m not particularly interested in the TonePrint Just a decent amp to use with a barefaced super compact. Thanks 

The Toneprint might be a great way of getting their excellent compressor into an amp.

Assuming the rest of the amp is good. I've not tried one yet.

I also had an email yesterday to say that Anderson’s were selling the mimiq mini reduced from £70 to £39

definitely something afoot sorry to go o/t,  

Back in the room….. I’ve been very happy with my bh250. The TonePrint work well, and it certainly delivers the goods. 

Edited by dudewheresmybass

I've used a BH550 since they first released about 5 years ago.

It's seen off every other amp I've bought in an attempt to get something considered a bit 'higher end', including the ubiquitous Little Mark 3 and GK mb800. 

Tonally, without using any Toneprint, it's all about being super clean and clear, delivered with strong authority. I'd describe it as giving a studio like sound, in a live setting. Exhibiting no mush on the bottom end or mid-range. I should also add that it is extremely low-noise/well shielded. I don't get any background hiss or static and the fan is whisper quiet when it kicks in.

It's extremely loud and I've never had to push it to get the necessary volume at open air gigs etc.

The EQ points cut and boost at different frequencies (really useful when playing at venues with terrible acoustics).

Toneprints are truly superb (especially the Spectracomp) but if truth be told, it's a bit rubbish that you can't mix two together, and can only have one active at a time.

The headphone socket and aux inputs are great additions that I find strange a lot of modern amps still aren't adding.

I've probably played 60+ gigs on it with not even a hiccup or issue of any kind.

At that price it's ridiculous value for money.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

I've used a BH550 since they first released about 4 years ago.

It's seen off every other amp I've bought in an attempt to get something considered a bit 'higher end', including the ubiquitous Little Mark 3 and GK mb800. 

Tonally, without using any toneprint, it's all about being super clean and clear, delivered with strong authority. It's extremely loud and I've never had to push it to get the necessary volume at open air gigs etc.

The EQ points cut and boost at different frequencies (really useful when playing at venues with terrible acoustics).

Toneprints are truly superb (especially the Spectracomp) but if truth be told, it's a bit rubbish that you can't mix two together, and can only have one active at a time.

The headphone socket and aux inputs are great additions that I find strange a lot of modern amps still aren't adding.

I've probably played 60+ gigs on it with not even a hiccup or issue of any kind.

At that price it's ridiculous value for money.

Thanks, that’s a great recommendation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Hi, just looking at a new class D head to go with a Super Compact and wondered,  what’s the dif between these 2 heads? I’m a novice on bass tech being a recent converted guitarist so happy to hear from you all on the amp front 🙂 

The BH550 is 550w and the BH800 is 800w. Otherwise, absolutely identical.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 40hz said:

The BH550 is 550w and the BH800 is 800w. Otherwise, absolutely identical.

Hi @40hz

Massive thanks for getting back to me, really appreciate it!

Apologies but for the barefaced super compact (8ohms), would it be wise to go for the bh800 as it’s only £50 more at present, or would it harm the BF super in any way?

thanks again for all your help!

On 11/06/2021 at 16:17, Merton said:

Wish I'd not gone not the Andertons site following this. Lots of other stuff is reduced too, though not as drastic in reduction there is still a lot to cause me pause for thought. Dammit.

Ditto.

Wasn't really looking to buy, but the alert on here on Friday led me to buy the bundled BH800 & K-410 Cabinet for £399 as it just seemed ridiculously good value (and another K 410 for reasons I haven't fully worked out yet...)

Edited by Dannymanc
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Hi @40hz

Massive thanks for getting back to me, really appreciate it!

Apologies but for the barefaced super compact (8ohms), would it be wise to go for the bh800 as it’s only £50 more at present, or would it harm the BF super in any way?

thanks again for all your help!

You'll be fine. The Super Compact is rated at 600w max. The BH800 will put out around 450-550w at 8ohm impedance (you'll only get the full 800w with a 4ohm load connected to the amp).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dannymanc said:

Ditto.

Wasn't really looking to buy, but the alert on here on Friday led me to buy the bundled BH800 & K-410 Cabinet for £399 as it just seemed ridiculously good value (and another K 410 for reasons I haven't fully worked out yet...)

The K-Series cabinets are excellent. I had two 2x10s stacked vertically for a while and gave me a superbly composed tone that could get up to stupid volumes.

4 minutes ago, 40hz said:

The K-Series cabinets are excellent. I had two 2x10s stacked vertically for a while and gave me a superbly composed tone that could get up to stupid volumes.

That's good to hear, I would have gone for a K 212 but they didn't have any in stock. If I can find one I might  add that and move on one of the K 410's.

On 14/06/2021 at 12:42, MacDaddy said:

Does the pedal have to be a TC Electronic Switch-3 Controller Pedal?

I got a feeling you can use pretty much any 3 button switch. I have the bh550 and I did some research way back when I bought it into buying/making an alternative 3 switch pedal. I'm not too confident about my soldering skills so bought the TC switch in the end...turns out a neighbour, 7 doors down, builds his own pedals! D'oh!

I bought the bh250 first and really liked it. Great for home practice and powerful enough for rehearsal too. I hate carrying pedals about and all that fiddly, time consuming setting up so the toneprint suits me plus found the 'in built' tuner a boon too!

I was worried that the bh250 might not have enough beef for the function gigs I was doing so bought a bh550 as well. I play a 5 string Lakland through the bh550 and a pair of Barefaced one10s and I'm happy. I use the Spectracomp compressor and MK's Sweet Minger on the toneprint. I'm currently playing a lot of funk and soul from the 60s, 70s and 80s and I would say I just about get a sound I like with a little growl when I need it 😊.

£199 is obviously cheaper than what I paid for my bh250 so if I was looking for an amp that was a bit Swiss army knife, this would be top of the list (in fact I'd probably go for the bh800 😄)

• Like 1

Tried my BH800 at Rehersal today with the Blackfaced Super Compact. 

Sounded great at first BUT.. 

The sound went after 5mins..

Back story first. Got the BH800 arrive before my Barefaced. So plugged in to my iMac and updated as instructed for the TonePrint, (registered it online with TC Electronic etc too). Barefaced arrived (with Stag Speakon to Speakon lead) so had a quick try.

first impressions - no sign of life from my PBass plugged direct in. Nothing.. so switched off, unplugged all, replugged in, checking all in correct. Started up.

After 10 secs saw the PBass show on the tuner shortly followed by audible bass. Yey! Played for a few mins max and carefully packed up ready for band pracky today.

Set up PBass, barefaced super compact, Bh800. plugged direct in and it sounded amazing - nice phat and loud. (None of the bh800 dials were past 12 o’clock at any point)

but then.. after 5mins the vol dropped like 80% mid song and didn’t come back up.

Stopped the song, unplugged everything, replugged in, switched on. And it wouldn’t pick up my PBass at all? No sign of life or sound? 

Tried dif sockets etc, nothing, then for no reason, it started again but still massive dropped vol?

tried again unplugged etc came back to life soundin great! Then 5mins in. Same again.. x5

ended up havin to use the rehearsal room bass amp. Got a gig within the week and lord to follow, have emailed Andertons just now & will ring 2moro. I need this replaced and in my possession for this gig.

2 worries, 1 - if I get the replacement in time. 2 - will this happen again during the gig? If so the gig will b ruined.

has anyone had this problem, or any advice? I’m devastated at present, having planned to give myself breathing space to prep b4 the gig I’m in the sticky situation of an amp head that works for 5mins tops then fails for 5 etc

Edit. BH800 had no flashing lights at any point, was at best warm to touch the hood, but by no means hot. And the dials were never more than 12 o’clock. Fender PBasd plugged direct in, Barefaced Super Compact linked with brand new ‘Stagg SSP2SS15 2m Speakon to Speakon Lead’. In a great pro pracky room with good  electrics

Edited by Captain Chaos