Why become a member? ×

Nothing to choose from

bigjimmyc

Hi fellow lefties. 
I can’t help feeling there are very few lh basses to choose from. Our own for sale forum is like a desert. 
Perhaps we need a swap shop? I for one have more 4s and 5s than I can play. 

I’ll just post my collection here and if you want to borrow or buy one then comment here or pm me. 

Nice collection. 

I don't think I've ever sold a bass through our forum, though I've bought two there over the years. It's really hard to find the lefty looking for exactly what you're selling and able to pay the going rate all at one special moment. I've got an Aria Pro II SB ELITE 1 that has had painstaking work done to make it a solid gigging instrument true to its original form and I can't shift it for almost 30% less than its worth on here, ebay, Reverb, etc. It's just hard to catch the moment I think, but with so little new stock I shops you'd think the second hand market would be going nuts right now. 

As it is I'm just waiting for the opportune time to drive down to the Gallery and put two basses in for commission sale. 

Totally agree @uk_lefty  

Ironic that good quality instruments are hard to find and yet we can’t shift them either. 
Years ago I went to Denmark street to try out a couple of basses I’d always fancied (Rickenbacker, Warwick) and came away unimpressed, but it was fun to try them. 

I’d certainly like a go on your Aria if only to satisfy my Cliff Burton / John Taylor fantasy. However I can’t justify another 4-string when I’m only playing 5s in my current band.

Anyone know where I can find a lefty Jackson Concert 5?

1 minute ago, bigjimmyc said:

I’d certainly like a go on your Aria if only to satisfy my Cliff Burton / John Taylor fantasy. However I can’t justify another 4-string when I’m only playing 5s in my current band.

If you're ever down near Hertfordshire you're more than welcome to. It's a lovely bass but my US Stingray is irreplaceable. I've also got a headless Washburn for the 80s nostalgia band so it's surplus to requirement, sad though considering how much time, stress and money that bass has cost me. Rehearsed with it last week and it's a belter. 

3 hours ago, bigjimmyc said:

Anyone know where I can find a lefty Jackson Concert 5?

At the Jackson (a.k.a. Fender) Custom Shop I'm afraid :facepalm:. I don't think Jackson ever made lefty 5's in their regular range. 

I'm based in the Netherlands, so it's difficult / near impossible for me to join in any swapping / borrowing / lending activities. It does sound like fun though!

I have to admit, I've never really had trouble finding basses I like. There were a few that I actively searched for that took me a while: it took me over 4 years until I finally managed to source an Ibanez Musician. And of course, as the saying goes: when it rains, it pours. So I found two. And bought them both :$. In most cases though, I ended up with basses I didn't even know I wanted. I have a few standard search words on a couple of advertising sites, and check them almost daily, which will often ignite spontaneous GAS attacks. I never knew I wanted a lefty Status Graphite, and now it's my main axe :lol:

• Like 1

Pretty sure there are bargains out there to be had on eBay and Reverb, if you can circumnavigate their systems and get an ‘alternative’ offer in !

It never hurts to ask...

Or even any realistic offer inside the system when stuff has been hanging about for ages with no buyer! I've had good stuff on there for ages with loads of "can you ship it in a blue box to my hut in Canada so it arrives on a Tuesday?" or "great bass, these are easily worth £1000! I can give you £50..." but few serious offers. Then I listed a Fender and got the market rate same day. 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s as it ever was. Aside from oddities (why anyone would pay £6K+ for a battered Wal that were nicely made but hardly boutique in their time is beyond me) 4-string Fenders generally sell, anything with a smaller market tends to stagnate. It’s probably more noticeable at the moment because people are in general being a bit more cautious, which means a lot more basses for sale and fewer buyers.

• 1 month later...