Why become a member? ×

Essential tools for self build?

Mokl

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere,  but I was hoping for some advice from some of you more seasoned builders as to what would be a good start-up tool/equipment set up. I'm not thinking about finishing at this stage, just the woodworking stuff you'd recommend to give me a half decent shot at making an OK job at it (skills and stupidity notwithstanding 😆).

I do have some cash saved up which I was planning on spending on a course,  but now thinking why don't I just dive in and plunder the extensive online resources and generous basschat hive mind!?

One thing in my favour is I worked as a guitar tech for best part of a decade,  so although somewhat rusty,  I do have a degree of confidence around setup and fretwork. 

Thanks in advance! 

Essentials for me are,

Router (preferably not a palm one if you like your hands)

Bandsaw

Card scrapers (especially a gooseneck)

Half round file 

Gouge chisel

I'd like to think I could get by with just those.

If I could add just one more tool it would be either a number 4 plane or spokeshave.

Edited by spacecowboy
Need one more toooool
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mokl said:

Thanks all, this is great. Any router recommendations? 

I got a Bosch one was about £60 ish and it's brilliant. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001E4EJ5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_FEXWRQHD59GZR3KXN58M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also had a small Makita knock-off palm router which I hate with every inch of my body.

• 2 weeks later...