Why become a member? ×

Bass iv

Storky

I’ve recently got my 2nd ever Bass VI and I’m enjoying it very much; I like the vibe/style, 30” scale and most importantly the tone, which is vintage but cuts through. Only thing is I don’t want the extra 2 strings. I want a bass 4! How hard would it be to convert it to four strings? Or is there someone out there who could build me a Bass IV? 🤔

6 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

You might want to give Rebirth Custom Guitars a look. Sure I’ve seen some bass iv variants fairly recently on their IG or FB.

Thanks; I’ll check them out. 👍

13 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

I totally get what you mean after having a bass VI, but part of the tone and charm of the VI is from the thinner strings and pickups in combination, which won't be the same on a 4 string version

Yes, agreed. I’d keep the same strings (minus the B and high E) and keep similar pickups- maybe something custom made or a strat bar type pick up

21 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Sounds like you're looking for something like the Fender Rascal bass

fender+rascal+bass+2014.jpg

Yes, I am! I have looked out for one of these, but no luck. Saying that the Rascal is more “surf” style than I’d ideally like, I prefer the more “Indy” style of the Bass VI, but yes, it’s pretty close to what I’m after.

The rascal was only available for a short time, so they might not come up secondhand very often.

It is the same scale as a mustang so maybe one of the mexican PJ mustangs might be worth a look - either to use as-is or customised with different/extra pickups.

0144052547_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

Sienna sunburst is the best colour for these & one of the few that comes with a maple fingerboard.

11 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

The rascal was only available for a short time, so they might not come up secondhand very often.

It is the same scale as a mustang so maybe one of the mexican PJ mustangs might be worth a look - either to use as-is or customised with different/extra pickups.

0144052547_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

Sienna sunburst is the best colour for these & one of the few that comes with a maple fingerboard.

Can confirm the Rascals absolutely don’t come up very often. I’ve been scouting for one for 18 months or more and not a sniff. They were doing a CS version for a while also but that’s also gone now.

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 1