Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II power section

Fatguy

The photos are representative of ABM EVOII or newer models so I'd say what you are seeing is fairly usual. the ABM 300's I've come across(quite a few) from EVOII models onwards had the same power amp boards as EVOII and EVOIII 500 that I've also come across . It's known as an APC033. I've also seen the same power amp board appear in MAG 600's. These utilise (usually 6) big Bi-Polar output transistors but I'm unsure if Ashdown spec these differently between 300/500 units. The ABM 500's have considerably larger and heavier transformers basically to supply more power. Older ABM 300's, 400's & 500's use different power boards( APC001) with a Mosfet output design and either 4 or 6 output mosfets depending on model. They also have specific transformers rated for the model.  I gigged an ABM 300 EVOII for a spell a few years back and it certainly didn't lack power. If anything, it was more powerful that I expected it to be.    

I "upgraded" my 300 watt (originally badged 200 watt) combo to 500 watts YEARS ago with a couple of power transistors and a couple of filter caps. The original line of amps (Klystron Bass Magnifier - still my favourite amp of all time!)  had the same PCB for the 200 and 400 watt versions, just omitted some components in the lower powered versions. These were rebadged as 300 and 500 watt amps without internal change (Ashdown confirmed this to me via email). The official Ashdown schematic suggests they had the same rated transformer too... I believe this was the same for the original EVO version of the amp, but the EVO II changed things.