Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD 102P and Guitar Guitar deposit

NoRhino

I fancy buying a Markbass CMD 102P combo and have researched it online and on YouTube.  I contacted my local GG shop asking to come in to try and buy but they want a 20% non refundable deposit to source one and bring it to their shop.

Is this normal and reasonable from them?

Is there any chance I won't like it when I try it out?

Currently I play a Fender P through a Trace Elliot V type 15" and will need it to suit full on FOH PA venues and smaller venues with vocal PA only.

Thanks

Buy it online from somewhere else i.e. have it sent to your house.  You then have the statutory right to return it for a full refund.  You will have to pay the cost to return it (courier £15?), but that is still a lot less than 20% of its value.

• Like 4

Because of the general shortage of new gear coming into the UK at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised if they only have a very limited stock, possibly at a store the other end of the country from you.

Still, if they're asking for a deposit which they would keep if you didn't turn up to try it out after they had it sent to your local store that would be highly unusual but just about understandable, and pretty much up to you whether you lose the deposit by not turning up.

If they're asking for 20% deposit which they keep even if you turn up but decide not to buy the amp then I wouldn't touch their conditions with a bargepole.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cato said:

If they're asking for 20% deposit which they keep even if you turn up but decide not to buy the amp then I wouldn't touch their conditions with a bargepole.

This is exactly what I was told.  Doesn't sit right with me. I'll get my bargepole. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Buy it online from somewhere else i.e. have it sent to your house.  You then have the statutory right to return it for a full refund.  You will have to pay the cost to return it (courier £15?), but that is still a lot less than 20% of its value.

I think I’d be tempted to buy it online from GG just to spite them.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Best approach and a good use of your consumer rights. I can sort of understand the shop policy though. Imagine if I had them bring up all their lefty basses to my nearest shop for me to walk out going "nah" after brief tickle of 10k worth of basses that could have been on display for a serious buyer somewhere else. 20pc is a bit steep to stop Tom foolery though, 5pc would be adequate to sift out any time wasters, and what if you try the MB but prefer something else that is in stock, would they transfer the deposit over? 

Order it from Thomman.

If you don’t like it simply return it.

It’s in-stock, and free shipping. The price there excludes VAT, with that added on it's just over £700, which is quite a lot cheaper than Gear4Music - I don’t know what Guitar Guitar are selling them at.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/markbass_cmd_102p_lm3.htm

Edited by ambient

23 minutes ago, ambient said:

Order it from Thomman.

If you don’t like it simply return it.

It’s in-stock, and free shipping. The price there excludes VAT, with that added on it's just over £700, which is quite a lot cheaper than Gear4Music - I don’t know what Guitar Guitar are selling them at.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/markbass_cmd_102p_lm3.htm

And then have to go through the Vat refund process with HMRC that will take a good 6 months at best.

• Like 1