Why become a member? ×

Bass Buggy Advice

spencer.b

What's the best one?

I'm gigging at least a couple of times a week in central London at the moment and the new congestion charge hours are killing me so for some gigs I could park about a mile away so a buggy may be in order leaving the super rich to drive there g wagon and Ferrari super polluters on quieter streets , arghhh , the charge doesn't even go to improving air quality FFS , As if it wasn't effing hard enough to make a living playing bass

Edited by spencer.b

I used to take my bass around Edinburgh on foot a lot, and found a simple bass wheel worked well for me. Mine is the inflatable tyre type, and I would keep it fairly soft to cushion the ride somewhat. The only time that's not great is if you're getting on and off public transport with it.

I used to use a trolley. It safely carried my DB up and down to London from Birmingham by train. Just make sure to use some quality bungee ropes. I was always pleasantly surprised the number of people who stopped and helped me carry it up or down stairs at tube stations.

• Like 1

I bought a second-hand golf bag trolley and a longer bit of webbing. £15. That said, it is slightly more bulky than the bass buggie and would be an interesting challenge to get into your average tube train. I tend to use mine more for crossing expanses of fields at folk festivals, or wheeling it round town centres. A bass wheel would probably be a better proposition for you.

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I have not exactly this one but something like it: https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/pro-craft-folding-hand-truck , plus some bungees.  It's good for keeping in a car since it folds flat (the plate folds up and wheels fold in 90°), and you can also use it for things which aren't double basses; e.g. amp/cab.

202972.2.jpg

I have one of these and it is great for my bass and as mentioned above it is versatile and is always in my car folded up. It has been used for combo amps, cabs, keyboards and other instruments including horns. Small wheels mean it is best on pavement but I have used mine on gravel, not sure how well it would do crossing a field, but it works on ice and hard packed snow.😊🇨🇦

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pete.young said:

I've got one of those trolleys too but wouldn't contemplate using it for the double bass. It's OK with something really heavy on it such as a cabinet but can only be pushed, if you try and pull it the wheels fold in and up.

Yours must be some proper duff copy. My duff copy pulls along fine but it did lose a wheel nut on some cobblestones. A keen eyed waitress found it for me or I would have been stuffed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried both the bass wheel and the bass buggie. To cut a long story short, I sold the wheel and kept the buggie.

With the buggie, I find it easier to control the bass. Not that it will happen, but in case the bass is at risk of falling, with the wheel, the bass can fall in any direction. With the buggie, it can fall on 2 directions — forward or backward. Likewise, I do not need to remove my endpin with the buggie. However, its price may put off some potential buyers.

I hope you’ll find the one that’ll suit your needs.

• Thanks 1