Why become a member? ×

SOLD - please delete - Lakland Hollowbody Skyline 34 (£800)
£900
Edinburgh, Scotland

dmckee

Bit of a feeler this one as not sure I want to sell…..  I’d been chasing one of these basses for ages and finally found a second hand one (2011 I think) earlier this year. When I got it though, it needed a bit of work. The electrics weren’t working well - it was all a bit noisy and to be honest, I didn’t really like the 2 volumes, 2 tones and pickup selector switch arrangement that it came with. 

In conversation with my local tech (Chris McIntyre in Edinburgh), we decided that he’d replace all the wiring with a custom John East Uni-Pre, which he’s installed really neatly as you can see from the pics. (His integration of the battery into the cavity cover is brilliant). 

The pre-amp is flat response so it doesn’t change the core tone, but what the bass now has is master volume, master blend, bass, treble and passive tone with a push/pull on that knob to switch between active and passive.  (Obviously it has all the internal config stuff that you get on a John East, like treble and bass frequency settings, pre-shape options etc). The frets also needed stoned, so Chris did that too. It plays beautifully now.  

Despite all this work, I’m just finding the tone a little too ‘soft’ for me. I’ve tried many times to find the perfect hollow body actually, but I’ve yet to find one that really does it for me tonally. I’ve been looking into custom pickups, but I’ve already spent quite a bit and I think I’m just realising that the hollow body sound is just not for me. 

In terms of condition, you’ll see there are 2 small dings on the body, one front and one back but otherwise it’s great. Lovely translucent burgundy colour. The neck is perfect. The balance of the bass is also perfect. (I did try one once that was neck heavy – this one is not). 

I bought it second hand for £800 and I’ve spent another £400 on it, on the pre-amp, installation and fret stone, so I’m losing money here obviously.  I think they retailed at £1399 although they’re not for sale now. 

It comes with its own hard case (I haven’t got round to adding pics of that yet) plus I have a Warwick Starline Hollow Body gigbag that I can also sell with the bass, or I’ll do that separately if necessary. 

I’m sure it’ll make a lovely bass for someone, and the changes I’ve made are a genuine upgrade I think. It’s just not for me.  Also, not really interested in trades, other than maybe a Fender Dimension HH that I've quite fancied trying for a while....

Edited by dmckee
  • Like 9

• MB1 locked this topic