Why become a member? ×

Hotcha

nekomatic

Seeing as I’ve started participating in a few threads round here - and in particular have gained some invaluable knowledge and help on speaker cabinet construction in the Amps and Cabs forum - I should probably say hello.

I’ve been playing bass on and off for nearly thirty years, having played piano and classical guitar before that. I’ve dabbled in jazz-funk, folk and blues but my main thing has always been jazz - it was Steve Swallow’s Duets album with Carla Bley that hooked me on bass and Swallow’s style and sound is probably still what I aspire to. I’ll listen to pretty much anything although let’s say I don’t often put thrash metal on for fun. I started listing bass and non-bass favourites but it took too long so for now I’ll namecheck Me’shell Ndegéocello and leave it at that.

Scandalously, I’ve only ever owned two basses - a cheap Precision copy I started out on and the American Standard Fender Jazz I upgraded to. I’m pretty sure the Jazz suits me but I really ought to try out alternatives sometime. I’ve also scraped by with practice combos (currently a Marshall MBB15) and borrowed bigger amps as needed, but am now working on sorting out a decent rig as documented on my cab refurb thread. Oh and I recently acquired a Bass Pod XT which feels like cheating but makes some brilliant noises.

Other instruments I own but can’t really play include congas, accordion, Turkish baglama, mandolin and theremin 😎

• Like 2