Why become a member? ×

NABD (New Acoustic Bass Day)

Grassie

I used to own an Aria electo-acoustic bass that I used in a jazz band a couple of years ago, but after I left the band I didn’t really use the bass much so I sold it. What I missed about it was the “go to” nature of it, in that I could just pick it up and have a noodle on it without the need to amplify it, so I started looking for another one.

Came across these on Gear4Music’s site - at £130 I thought “why not?” I’ve always liked the Ovation style guitars, they’re a bit different to the usual stuff out there, and this looked more comfortable than my old Aria.

Arrived today (after two weeks from ordering), was a little surprised at how little packaging there was inside the box considering its an acoustic instrument, but the bass is intact. First impressions: needed tuning and the truss rod tweaking as the action was a little high for my taste, the strings are incredibly bright (I think they are G4M’s own brand strings) but I was pleasantly surprised at how loud it is unplugged, machine heads are ok, seems to hold its tuning well, intonation is spot on as well. So far, so good.

I’ve only played it amplified through my little practice amp and I can say that while the strings are new and fresh you do not need to touch the treble control at all, it’s too harsh. Boost the bass and add a touch of mid and it sounds great. 
Downsides? The usual - fret finishing is poor, and there is some neck dive while playing seated. I haven’t strapped it on yet because there is only one strap button on the bottom side, but I’m going to be using it at home for the most part, sitting down. 

All in all, for the money it’s a surprisingly usable acoustic bass. I’ll post some video at some point soon to give you a better idea of how it sounds. 😊

C36EF055-B939-43C9-89FC-038B570FBDF2.jpeg

• Like 3