Why become a member? ×

Lightweight PA?

Using a smaller speaker is a good shout if you are using subs anyway, lifting a 15 onto a stand when you are filtering out the bottom octave from your tops doesn't make a lot of sense, though we all do it so we can use the tops on their own for smaller gigs. 

If you are happy to just wheel in the subs and it is only the lift that worries you then one of the line source arrays might work for you. Like the RCF Evox series RCF Evox 12 Compact Portable PA System | PMT Online

Interestingly there are very few PA speakers in the mid price range that offer neo bass drivers and using ceramic magnets on big bass units is always going to mean a heavy cab as a result. 

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Interestingly there are very few PA speakers in the mid price range that offer neo bass drivers and using ceramic magnets on big bass units is always going to mean a heavy cab as a result. 

That's what I've noticed - you'd think that lightweight PA would be a much bigger and developed market than bass cabs really.

6 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

A pair of RCF 745's will cope with virtually anything. Keep a sub just in case.

These look great, wonder how they save about 5kgs compared to my 325's - usual challenge of 'affordable', light and good quality - pick any two!

6 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Using a smaller speaker is a good shout if you are using subs anyway, lifting a 15 onto a stand when you are filtering out the bottom octave from your tops doesn't make a lot of sense, though we all do it so we can use the tops on their own for smaller gigs.

That's the rub isn't it? Most pub gigs we just use the 15s, larger pubs we'll bring one sub, big venues and outdoors it's both subs. We do get compliments on our live sound and I'm a bit suspicious of the small cabs as the ones I've heard have been loud, clear and powerful but somehow a bit 'too punchy' almost like they need to move a bit more air for the same volume - hard to put your finger on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redbandit599 said:

These look great, wonder how they save about 5kgs compared to my 325's - usual challenge of 'affordable', light and good quality - pick any two!

My guess is that they lost a couple of kg with the neo tweeter in the 745 and a bit more in the plate amp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

Most pub gigs we just use the 15s, larger pubs we'll bring one sub, big venues and outdoors it's both subs. 

Either you play much larger pubs than my bands do, or you play much louder music!

Our biggest gig is a barn of a pub in West London where we routinely play (3rd set anyway) to 300 people. For that, we use a Mark Audio system where the 210s are both the subs and the base units, and then each has a linear array of 3" tweeters on poles above. Nothing heavy gets lifted more than about two inches.

For most of our gigs though, usually playing to perhaps 100 people, we have a very nice power amp and a pair of passive 12" tops. Even with my dodgy back, there's no effort involved in lifting these onto their poles.

At every single gig, we keep the backline fairly quiet, put the entire band through the PA, and have @Silvia Bluejay out in the audience with a tablet controlling mix & volume.

We get complimented on our sound all the time, most commonly by the landlady / manager. One band plays old-school rock'n'roll & rockabilly, the other plays classic pop/rock covers from the 60s-80s, so that's two quite different sounds and - in the main - different instrumentation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Either you play much larger pubs than my bands do, or you play much louder music!

Our biggest gig is a barn of a pub in West London where we routinely play (3rd set anyway) to 300 people. For that, we use a Mark Audio system where the 210s are both the subs and the base units, and then each has a linear array of 3" tweeters on poles above. Nothing heavy gets lifted more than about two inches.

I don't think we're particularly loud (Pardon?😉) but I think we do sound very full, rock and powered up pop with keys as well as guitar bass and drums. In normal times we do like to get the place jumping, literally - so it's loud enough to feel, but not deafening. 

Small pubs, I tend to stay out of the tops - as my 112 Bergs don't need any help and sound fat - everything else is in the tops to whatever extent is required.

Subs are rare and usually just ticking over when used, never wound up. Unfortunately we don't have a Silvia 🙁- but singer and drummer in particular have a good ear and like you we mix using a digital desk.

I've not heard of Mark Audio before? All I can see online are just the drivers. Similarly, other than duos and backing track singers I've not seen a line array used by a band live - interesting that they work for you as they do look convenient.

Be great to be able to try different approaches, but that's tricky and no way I'm storing more than one rig.

17 minutes ago, redbandit599 said:

Be great to be able to try different approaches, but that's tricky and no way I'm storing more than one rig.

One? We've got three!

Baby Bear is for acoustic-stylee gigs, especially outdoors in dodgy weather ... Yamaha desk controls a Crown power amp driving passive 10" tops. There's nothing there that I would want to lose, but neither is there anything that would break the bank if I had to replace it. It's all strictly analogue, old-school, and simple.

Mummy Bear is our go-to rig for most gigs ... XR18 controls a lovely PowerSoft Digam power amp driving passive 12" tops.

Daddy Bear is for big & loud gigs ... XR18 controls the Mark Audio linear array system.

This approach also makes it mix & match if required. There's nothing at all to prevent us  (for example) from setting up Daddy Bear, then hanging the whole of Mummy Bear off the side of it using just the Aux Out L/R. Now we're talking peak Glastonbury. 😂

• Haha 1

Mark Audio are Mark Bass. I've heard the PA system at the southwest bass bash and it is very good. It's a similar system to the RCF Evox i linked you to above. I've not gigged with either of those but I have gigged with the LD Maui system which is similar and that worked well. Frankly I think this system is the future for most of us. The subs are also the stands and you only have to slot the lightweight column on top and you are off. They send out a broad flat beam of sound which reaches all the audience better and the reduces reflections and increased directionality reduce feedback problems. They are simpler to set up, look better, sound at least as good  and there is no chance of a 25kg speaker on a flimsy stand braining one of the dad dancers. However they ain't cheap

• 3 weeks later...

The nicest lightweight, compact PA I heard was a pair of Nexo 10 + horn tops and sub. You could fit it all in the boot of a small hatchback. Not cheap, mind, by the time you add the necessary amplification and Nexo controller.